Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaking Speedo Gear drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default Leaking Speedo Gear drive

I had to replace the speedo gear drive housing the other day, got the new OEM part installed, but now I am having a drip leak from where the gear drive goes into the transfer case. the part came with a brand new o-ring, i tried ATF fluid to coat the ring, then grease, then trying the old oring, which never used to leak to no avail. Now it is leaking a small puddle every time I stop driving. What else can I use to help seal the speedo gear drive into the T-case? Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I had to redo my new adaptor twice because it was leaking. The only thing that worked for me was to apply a bead of Permatex Hylomar to the flange of the adaptor where it seats on the TC. It finally fixed the leak.

Hylomar is hard to find at the retain stores. If you can wait, you can get it through Amazon.

Amazon.com: Permatex 85249 Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant - 1.2 fl. oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 85249 Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket Dressing and Flange Sealant - 1.2 fl. oz.: Automotive

When I worked as an aircraft mechanic I used Hylomar to seal components on Rolls-Royce jet engines, as called for in the RR maintenance mnuals. Hylomar originated in England, and apparently was bought out (in the US) by Permatex.

I've used Hylomar on T-Stat housing and water pump gaskets for years; nothing is better.

Google Hylomar, and go to the Hylomar site and read the tech data sheets on the stuff.

I've seen TC speedo adaptors installed with RTV used as a sealant. I guess if you go this route, make sure both flanges are free from ATF, grease, etc., so the RTV can seal.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
I had to redo my new adaptor twice because it was leaking. The only thing that worked for me was to apply a bead of Permatex Hylomar to the flange of the adaptor where it seats on the TC. It finally fixed the leak.
Thanks, I dont know if the replacements dont fit the same or what, but I have tried everything. I will check this stuff out, their website says that they have it just down the street from my office. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:22 AM

CCKen -I was impatient and went and bought another permatex high temp gasket sealer because I couldnt find the Hylomar locally. Installed it, let it sit overnight, refilled the T-case, and as of now it is dry as a bone.
Thanks again for the recommendation