Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaking fuel lock ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaking fuel lock ring

I put a new fuel pump in but could not get the new lock ring to work. So I put the old one back on and it leaks if I put more than 3/4 of a tank in. I'm not sure if it leaked before since I never filled the tank to full since I've had it!

The old lock ring is very thin compared to the new one. The original o-ring was tubular while the new one is rectangular (both in a circle of course). Any tricks to these lock rings or is there a different part that is more like the OEM ring.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont know how to fix it but 2 days ago one of my co workers truck caught on fire at work when he tried to start it. Had a leaky fuel line and I guess the battery arched cuz when he went to start it it lit up. Needs a new wiring harness, fuel system and engine gaskets plus new paint job. All from literally less than 2 minutes of being on fire.

Don't drive it for the safety of you and your jeep
Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

I've got the same issue on my '89 XJ. From what I've heard the O ring can get pinched during install, some oil on it to help it slide can prevent this. Worth a try I guess? I haven't had the time to mess with mine yet.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same issue on my 96 once. Try removing the lock ring and putting a little motor oil on the o ring before install. If you leave it dry when you turn the ring it can bind and pinch the ring. Worked for mine.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Are you certain you got the seal seated correctly. Check the mating surface on the flange for any signs of scoring or damage and make sure the seal didn't slip when you tightened the lock ring.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the all replies. I'm going to try greasing it up more. I hate smelling gas when it's parked in the driveway.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM

OK-The third time was the charm. Decided to drop the tank since I just couldn't see why it was leaking when I had more than a half tank of gas. Broke the first J-bolt then I thought the second one was moving and it broke. Tank dropped on me but luckily I had most of the gas out of it.

The old o-ring had a split in it so that's probably why it was leaking. I put a new flat-style o-ring and new lock ring. I had to file some sharper chamfers so it would go under the tabs but got it on with some vaseline. Then I thought I would pick up some new J-bolts but those are not around anywhere. I fabbed them by cutting a little of the eye out of some 8" 3/8 eye bolts. Got it all together and no leaks!

Here's a pic with the tank down. Wasn't too hard after all. I would recommend dropping the tank instead of trying to put the pump in with the tank up. The pump went in really easy and I could see where to put the filter etc.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking fuel lock ring-img00313-20120923-1457.jpg