Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaking Front Axle Fluid after Ball Joint change

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 , 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Both 4.0 IL6
Default Leaking Front Axle Fluid after Ball Joint change

I searched the forums and couldn't find any answers so here goes:
I changed my ball joints yesterday. After putting it all back together and lowering the axle down off of the jack and jack stands, differential fluid started leaking down from behind the u joint on my front axle where I changed the ball joints. It stopped leaking and slowed to a drip after it had dropped a puddle on the floor that was about 6" in diameter.
Questions:
1. Should I be worried about it?
2. I think it was just some of the fluid that came out when I pulled out the axle to change the ball joints. Confirm or deny?
3. Is there seal that is supposed to stop this at the end of the axle? There was remnants of what apeared to be a seal, but a search of the autoparts stores did not reveal a front axle seal for me to go and buy.

Looking for some advice here. This is my second cherokee. Its a 1999 4x4 Inline 6. Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

It doesn't sound like it is anything to worry about as long as the leak has stopped. I would recommend checking the fluid just to make sure it isn't too low.

There is a seal in the axle tube but it is next to the differential and will allow fluid to leak into the axle housing when the axle shaft is removed. That fluid would then leak out behind the u-joint once it was off the jack.
I have noticed a plastic disc on some axles just behind the u-joint that is supposed to keep debris out but it wouldn't keep fluid in, that may be what you saw.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

There is an inner and outer seal. Assuming your axle is a Dana 30. Google Dana 30 axle seals.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Not really an outer seal ^^. It's more of a axle tube shield to prevent debris getting into the axle tube. It won't prevent gear oil from coming out, or mud/water getting into the axle tubes.

The inner seal closest to the pumpkin is where the gear oil seals are. It's most likely that some oil spilled into the axle tube when you removed the axle shaft and it is taking it's time to seep out. But the inner seals are also vulnerable to getting nicked during the removal or install of axle shafts. I always like to apply some assembly grease to the seal surface on the axle as well as the splines so it guides through the seal lip nicely.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

It's up for debate wether to use outer seals. They're supposed to keep crap out of the tube. Factory there's just a cap or whatever it's called.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998 , 1999
Engine: Both 4.0 IL6

Ok, thanks guys. I kind of figured it was just a "protective" measure seal on the outside behind the u joint. I could see there was some sand in the tube and wiped most of it out. I think what is left is just left over oil trying to drip from the steering knuckle / axle. There is a little bit on the garage floor. But only maybe a tablespoon worth in volume. Just wanted to run it by everyone here since this is the first time I have messed with the front end like this. Next weekend I am going to do the SYE swap and bolt on an Adams Driveshaft. I hope it is easier than the ball joints were. They damn near killed me. Did it yesterday and today I feel like I have been in a fight. Wrists hurt, knuckles are skinned and bleeding, my back is killing me, and just general allover body aches.
I have read many posts on here about SYE swaps, but does anyone have any tricks that will make it easier than what has already been posted? Is it easier to leave the transfer case on the vehicle, or take it off and put it on a bench? Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Getting gear oil drip after any front end work where the shafts are taken out is pretty normal. Especially if the diff is at the proper fluid level, because after the shaft is removed it is pretty common for some of the fluid to find its way into the axle tube housing. Clean up the spot, and keep an eye on after the next couple of parks, if it continues to do it, the axle seal has become damaged, and it will only get worse and worse.

The good news, is that it is a super cheap part, and not that painful of a job to fix. Just tedious.

I probably did 5 different front end jobs, and it dribbled some after each one.

Then on my last job, it dribbled, and I thought no big deal. Then it dribbled, and dribbled, and spewed, and made a mess of my tire. Then dribbled some more.

So I got to replace the seals.

It pays to be very gentle when putting the axle shafts back into the axle housing, as the seals are pretty delicate compared to the axle shafts. I figured perhaps I got a little rough on my recent front-end rebuild (ball joints, tie rods, etc.).

But when I went to replace the seal, it looked like a normal age related failure. There was no real evidence of damage from inserting the axle shaft. Probably the axle work just brought it on quicker. They were original I believe.