Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My Cherokee XJ Maint

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT
Default My Cherokee XJ Maint

I got all new Mopar tune-up parts for the Cherokee this summer. Can't find any Mopar sparkplugs for it though. Got Air filter, fuel filter, oil filter. Going to probably replace all the coolant hoses since they are feeling dry rotted/spongy. I want to get a new header seal and repaint the head black again too. Battery is still fine for being a 2008. Will probably get a Mopar brand one when it goes out. I want to try to keep everything factory OEM on it.

I just went out and checked the fluids on both vehicle such as oil, trans and coolant. I filled the Cherokee to the Add line on coolant and then let it run for 20min to get cycled through and the level went about 3" above Add. Is this normal? Never thought about it before. It was about 2" below the Add.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Cherokee_Laredo
I got all new Mopar tune-up parts for the Cherokee this summer. Can't find any Mopar sparkplugs for it though. Got Air filter, fuel filter, oil filter. Going to probably replace all the coolant hoses since they are feeling dry rotted/spongy. I want to get a new header seal and repaint the head black again too. Battery is still fine for being a 2008. Will probably get a Mopar brand one when it goes out. I want to try to keep everything factory OEM on it.

Nothing wrong with using Mopar parts and they are definitely recommended when it comes to stuff like engine management sensors. But when it comes to "consumable" maintenance parts they are merely re-brands of stuff you can usually get at most auto-parts stores for much less than the dealer. For example "Mopar" spark plugs if you could find them would just be Champion or NGK (depending on year) plugs with a Mopar logo and additional markup, Mopar filters are made by Purolator or Champion Labs, Mopar batteries are made by Johnson Controls (which also makes Interstate and many auto parts store's "house-brand" batteries), etc.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

That what I was getting for spark plugs online was Champion. I get AC Delco for my 2 GM trucks as that's GMs parts brand.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

That what I was getting for spark plugs online was Champion. I get AC Delco for my 2 GM trucks as that's GMs parts brand.
check out this info
All compliments to CCKen:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/spa...update-228311/
Old 02-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Seasoned Member

I filled the Cherokee to the Add line on coolant and then let it run for 20min to get cycled through and the level went about 3" above Add. Is this normal? Never thought about it before. It was about 2" below the Add.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:45 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I filled the Cherokee to the Add line on coolant and then let it run for 20min to get cycled through and the level went about 3" above Add. Is this normal? Never thought about it before. It was about 2" below the Add.
You may need a new radiator cap.