Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf Springs Sagging

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Leaf Springs Sagging

Okay, so I've been under my 88 xj disconnecting everything getting ready to pull the motor and tranny.
It has always looked a little saggy in the back. My son pointed out the rear leaf springs to me and they look terrible. They are bent the wrong way - completely collapsed.
They are frowny faces - not smiley faces! I know, I know. I shouldn't use such technical jargon.

So where would you begin if you were on a TIGHT budget and needed to repair these rear springs?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-02-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I picked up the Dorman springs off Amazon for about $100 a piece. Threw them on and wound up about an inch over stock. They've settled about a half inch. Solid HD springs, but not to firm. Decent ride for such an affordable option. The other nice thing about the Dormans was the bushings were already pressed in to the springs... on some of the replacement springs, you've got to buy the bushings separate and press them in yourself.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

You could post your location. For instance, if you're in SoCal you can have my stock take-offs that are sitting on the side of my house.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:02 PM

Thanks Jay,
That's a good point. I'm in Southeast.
So probably won't swing by to pick them up later this afternoon.

Thanks for the feedback,
Jeff
Old 11-02-2015, 03:03 PM

Thanks Heap,
I'm headed to Amazon right now to go check out the Dormans.

Jeff
Old 11-02-2015, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Darn, guess I'll keep them then.
But seriously, post in the wanted section (not sure if you need to up your post count first?), since springs are usually taken off for a lift, you could probably score some for free or cheap. Cruise craigslist for part outs? Jeep dismantler local? Maybe the regional section here?
Old 11-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by HEAP of JEEP
I picked up the Dorman springs off Amazon for about $100 a piece. Threw them on and wound up about an inch over stock. They've settled about a half inch. Solid HD springs, but not to firm. Decent ride for such an affordable option. The other nice thing about the Dormans was the bushings were already pressed in to the springs... on some of the replacement springs, you've got to buy the bushings separate and press them in yourself.
Glad to hear the Dorman's work well, eventually I'm going to replace the ones on my 2000 XJ with those but wasn't sure on quality. I like Dorman for other things but haven't used any of their suspension parts.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by t.mcginley.jr
Glad to hear the Dorman's work well, eventually I'm going to replace the ones on my 2000 XJ with those but wasn't sure on quality. I like Dorman for other things but haven't used any of their suspension parts.
I like them enough that I'll be getting the same ones to put on my 1990 XJ. I'm sure there are bette rones out there, but for the price, I'm extremely happy with them so far. Only been on about 10 months, but no complaints yet.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And order new leaf spring bolts if the springs don't come with them.A factory bolts like to rust in place most of us have to cut them to get the springs out.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I avoided the whole "Remove the main bolts" fiaso and just added a leaf from a 90s GMC Sonoma. S10 leafs will work also.

Look up "Leaf Spring Bastard Pack". By the time you get the new u-bolts and such, the cost should be less than new OEM springs with none of the frame-cutting shenanigans that you need to do to remove the entire spring.

I did mine and used the main spring from then Sonoma with the eyes cut off, and one or 2 of the other from the GMC.

You will need new center pin bolts, some C-Clamps to hold everything together as you are working. A few ratchet straps to horse the axle tube around as you do each side is helpful also.

Just my .02.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

If they are a sad face instead of a smiley face, just turn them upside down! Kidding, I am having similar issues and plan to go the bastard pack route.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by diskman
I avoided the whole "Remove the main bolts" fiaso and just added a leaf from a 90s GMC Sonoma. S10 leafs will work also.

Look up "Leaf Spring Bastard Pack". By the time you get the new u-bolts and such, the cost should be less than new OEM springs with none of the frame-cutting shenanigans that you need to do to remove the entire spring.

I did mine and used the main spring from then Sonoma with the eyes cut off, and one or 2 of the other from the GMC.

You will need new center pin bolts, some C-Clamps to hold everything together as you are working. A few ratchet straps to horse the axle tube around as you do each side is helpful also.

Just my .02.
The only concern I would have with that, is the fact that the original springs are still worn out, and the main worn out leaf is still what the majority of your vehicle is being supported by.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:54 PM

Amazing feedback everyone!
Everything I would expect form such a great site.

Thank you
Old 11-02-2015, 05:15 PM

Crown auto sells upcountry springs on Amazon. $75 each. Adds a little over an inch.

Leaf Springs Sagging-image-1920980501.jpg

They do not come with bushings.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

Originally Posted by timmysixgun
Crown auto sells upcountry springs on Amazon. $75 each. Adds a little over an inch.

They do not come with bushings.
Where are you finding them for $75??

Quick Reply: Leaf Springs Sagging