Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf spring packs....Rusty's, etc.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaf spring packs....Rusty's, etc.

I read a couple comments on my shake & bake problem and decided to go buy some rear leaf packs. Did a search, read a zillion comments, looked at a zillion springs, lift kits, blah blah blah blah blah.

Decided to buy a pair of Rusty's rear spring packs, 3.5". Price complete: $229. Not bad - reasonable for my use. Then I checked shipping $74!! From Alabama to Michigan? Are they joking?

I get their deal - low price on product, arm & a leg on shipping...you don't want to return those suckers because they'll replace them...and charge you another $74 shipping. This is some sort of low-brow ebay behavior, IMO. Rusty's is out...

The question is where can I get a decent set of 3" leaf packs? I don't need or want front springs...just leafs. I could get by with 2" lift leafs but I've got to have SOME lift...I'm runnign 31" tires.

Help.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The word on this forum is any S-10 or Dodge Dakota leafs will give you 4" lift. Junk yard leafs are about $75 each from Dakota.

Where are you going to get your lift shakles from? I've looked at auto zone they have em but their almost $100 for the pair and thats just the 4" lift shakles, you got any other resources on that?

-w
Old 10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAEMI
I read a couple comments on my shake & bake problem and decided to go buy some rear leaf packs. Did a search, read a zillion comments, looked at a zillion springs, lift kits, blah blah blah blah blah.

Decided to buy a pair of Rusty's rear spring packs, 3.5". Price complete: $229. Not bad - reasonable for my use. Then I checked shipping $74!! From Alabama to Michigan? Are they joking?

I get their deal - low price on product, arm & a leg on shipping...you don't want to return those suckers because they'll replace them...and charge you another $74 shipping. This is some sort of low-brow ebay behavior, IMO. Rusty's is out...

The question is where can I get a decent set of 3" leaf packs? I don't need or want front springs...just leafs. I could get by with 2" lift leafs but I've got to have SOME lift...I'm runnign 31" tires.

Help.

I don't think they are ripping you off too bad. I bought 4.5 RC leafs and they weighed almost 90 lbs. I am sure that is a pretty penny to ship 90 pounds of awkward shaped leafs. Look for rc 4.5 leafs on ebay there was someone selling cheap sets.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Demolition_x
I don't think they are ripping you off too bad. I bought 4.5 RC leafs and they weighed almost 90 lbs. I am sure that is a pretty penny to ship 90 pounds of awkward shaped leafs. Look for rc 4.5 leafs on ebay there was someone selling cheap sets.

Well...you make a fair point. maybe I'll see what RC is doing on shipping before I get in a twist.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by wes.hartshorn
The word on this forum is any S-10 or Dodge Dakota leafs will give you 4" lift. Junk yard leafs are about $75 each from Dakota.

Where are you going to get your lift shakles from? I've looked at auto zone they have em but their almost $100 for the pair and thats just the 4" lift shakles, you got any other resources on that?

-w
I've got extended shackle now from M.O.R.E...but if I buy 3" lift springs I plan to re-install the OEM shackles. I'm thinking if I used the MORE shackles and the new springs my XJ would have the "stink-bug" look going. Definately not good.