Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf Spring help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 Cylinder
Default Leaf Spring help

Hello all!
I'm in need of some help choosing the best option of a leaf spring. I do occasionally tow with it, but not very much. Don't do a lot of off-roading, but do like to every now and then.

Anyone got any recommendations, and if so, brand and such along with it (Please).

So far I have just been simply looking at Doman's replacement springs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I recently went from normal duty stock leafs to HD Dorman p/n 929-301 (as I can recollect). This raised the rear roughly an inch so I also replaced the front stock springs with Crown HD springs (can't remember p/n) to help even the vehicle out. Rides much firmer now but anything's better than the sagging and mechanical jarring I was getting with worn out springs and bushings. Neither set of springs has settled too much despite much torture testing on certain washboard dirt roads and DD in my area.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 PM

Thanks man, ill take a look around for those. Did you buy them locally or online? If online, where at? (If you dont mind me asking)
Old 09-29-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by emt_hawkins
Thanks man, ill take a look around for those. Did you buy them locally or online? If online, where at? (If you dont mind me asking)
Online for both sets plus all the bushings. Rear leafs were from Rock Auto and the front coils from Morris 4x4.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the Junk yard ( I used Pullapart), find an S10 Blazer(nice thick, stiff leafs) and get the 1st and 2nd Leafs that are under the Main Leaf Springs. They charged me $40. Just swap out those 1st and 2nd Leafs with the ones on your current XJ and add some aftermarket leaf spring clamps from Advance Auto and a new, slightly longer center bolt and nut. This will bring the rear of your Jeep back up to level, or slightly above level (.25-.5" for me). Cheaper and easier than replacing the entire Leaf Pack. No messing with that front leaf mount bolt. My Jeep now sits perfect and rides great.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:57 PM

Thank you kansas. Was actually looking at rockauto for those dorman.

Bocefus,
Not a bad idea. How bad is that front mount. If I replace the bushings and such how bad is that gonna be?
Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM

Bocefus,
Not a bad idea. How bad is that front mount. If I replace the bushings and such how bad is that gonna be?
I ain't Bocefus, but I can tell you that to replace both spring assemblies I had to carve up the leaf springs/eyes/bushings with an angle grinder to remove them from the vehicle. Had no choice since the original bushings were shot along with the springs and the bolts were frozen into the inner sleeves. I had the Dormans standing by ready to go along with new bolts and since they come with bushings already installed, there was already part of the total job done.

There are lots of rear leaf spring posts relating to those particular front mount bolts on this forum and several others. The key is to research everything and make sure that all the stuff you think you may need is on hand before the job begins. My .02 worth...
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bocefus,
I had originally wanted to replace the whole leaf pack, but after putting a socket and huge breaker bar on the front mount bolt to see just how much of a pain it was going to be, I changed my mind. Ended up getting a few turns out of the bolt till it seized, socket slipped off and I sprained my back. I then did some research into "Bastard Packs", and off to the Junk Yard I went. I just needed a few inches in the back to fix the sagging and stiffen it up a little for some light towing. It just wasn't worth the effort and expense for me to install brand new leaf packs for an old 1996 Jeep winter beater with a salvage title. My bushings are still good. If they aren't falling apart and loose, they should be fine. I might be able to take some pics for you if you want them.

Last edited by Bocefus; 09-29-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 PM

Thank you guys for all of the info. I think I'll take some of both, and get underneath and see just how bad those bushings and bolts/nuts are. I have a mechanic friend with a compressor and a huge collection of Snap-On tools, so worse to worse I will pay him to do it. Usually a couple bucks and some beer.