Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Leaf spring alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaf spring alternative?

I've done the search and read roughly 10 posts about the problematic front leaf spring bushing/bolts. I have no desire to "lift" the jeep, just to help with sagging rear end and I know this might go against the grain here but let me throw this idea out there for what it's worth:

When purchased about 1.5 years ago, I knew the rear end was a bit saggy and at the time, didn't know that it was such an extensive task to replace the rear leafs. On another similar job, I had used an "add-a-leaf" to aid in the sag in a junior pickup truck. Since I am not trail riding or towing or rock climbing, I am thinking that an add-a-leaf in this particular Jeeps case would be just fine but I don't want to add a short leaf, rather one that's almost full length to provide support under the whole leaf spring.

Is there such a resource?

The only issue I had with the previous add-a-leaf was that added leaf would tend to pivot and had to be knocked back in place from time to time. Where could I find the clips that are used to band the leaves together to prevent this with a full add-a-leaf?

Again, it might be against what some may do, but for what this Jeep is used for this might make the best sense.

Any good resources for a full add-a-leaf and the clips/bands would be most helpful.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

The front bolt really isnt that bad. Yeah it will prolly be seized in the bushing but it is fixable fairly easily.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:10 AM

This is a daily driver for my daughter. I fear the problem of getting in a situation that becomes more than I can handle on my own. From what I read, 90% of the folks who have done this seem to have cut, welded, grinded, etc. I don't have most of these tools other than an impact and a little know when it might be over my head. Spending the quoted $500-$600 as a local shop told me is not up my alley right now.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

There are long Add-A-Leafs indeed, just like you say, but they are aimed at providing lift with a spring pack that's already in good shape. A 2" AAL might get you back up to stock height, but with only a single leaf trying to keep that arch it will just sag down again after a few months and ultimately be a waste of time and money.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Is your Jeep rusty? Tell us more about it. If not rusty and only tired you can try to get the spring bolt loose first. If it doesnt come loose the go for a second option which is buy a set of replacement springs and cut the eyes off them. Use all the leafs from the new set and the main from the original.
To get the front bolt out Ive had best luck with a 3/4 breaker bar 1 foot extension a small jack stand to spin the extension on and 6 feet of cheater on the breaker bar. A small hydraulic jack will also work in place of the jack stand. If you get the front ones the come loose you have the worst of the job done. The rear bolts will useaually come out ok. A sawzall on the u-bolts is real quick.
I like the Dorman brand replacement springs alot. Either Rock Auto or Advance Auto with a discount ordered on line gets you the best price.

Ron
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If you're only wanting to lift the rear a little, air shocks may work out for you.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:44 PM

It's basically an "untouched" 96 Jeep 4x4 sport. Which in some ways it's good (don't have to correct previous owner's mods/mistakes) and in some ways bad (everything is frozen). It has a fair share of rust considering the age, etc but not as bad as I've seen around here.

I hear you on the cheeter bar, etc. and that's what I've read alot about but there's that place in the back of my mind that tells me "you're going to wish you hadn't of started this." It's seems it is a crap shoot if success or pita.

The spring pack is original and does have a little arch but it's flat rear of the axle, so it's not completely ruined. Everything I have put a wrench to (whether manual or air) will come loose except these pesky front spring bolts. 500lb air wrench isn't budging them.

One other thought is to jack up the Jeep, lower the axle from the existing spring pack (so to have leaf springs just "dangling") and try again with the air gun. Would that be worth the effort or is that a wast of time?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

With the cheater bar you will get more torque than that 500 ft lbs. i think its a good idea to take some of the pressure off the leafs.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

I'd just replace the springs. Like already mentioned, an AAL will just sag again if the springs are worn.
The front bolt on the springs was actually the easiest of all mine, but I had good luck putting a 6 point socket on everything with a pull handle, and hitting the pull handle with a hammer to break it loose. Then spun it out with the impact, and put everything back together with the impact once I had the new springs in. But my 3/4" drive impact didn't even break my spring bolts loose.
I put Quadratec HD springs in mine to replace my sagging worn out springs. They ended up giving me about 1.5" of lift after I got them broke in good, and I know you said you don't want to lift it, but its a very small amount and worth it imo for the HD springs. Mine have been abused offroad at least once a week for the past year, and hauled more weight in the back of my XJ than I should have a few times. I have no complaints with my springs, and I really don't think stock replacement springs would have held up as well as mine have.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The reason the impact does not work is the rubber bushing is absorbing the impacts. It would need to be a 1200 wrench to work.

Ron
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

only way i got my front bolts out was using a impact and going in and out over and over. also needed to pull out on the bolt while spinning it .
Old 07-08-2013, 02:39 PM

Never thought about the rubber bushing absorbing the "impact" wrench. Makes sense. Kirknd4spd: Where did you source your springs,...link?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

These are the springs I have
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

Didn't buy mine new though, found them on craigslist with about 3000 miles on them for around $75 iirc.