Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lack of power, almost stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default Lack of power, almost stalls

Yesterday (saturday), I was driving home from the motocross track, when my jeep started to slow down, lug a bit, and the gas pedal got stiff. I left off the gas, then pushed the pedal back down, and it was fine. No problems for about, 5 miles and then it did it again. I then pulled into a subdivision, checked my oil, for leaks, and any other signs of something, but turned up nothing. So, today, I thought maybe it was something binding in the transmission due to low fluid, so I drained the old fluid, and added new. Also, I put in new spark plugs. Took it for a drive, and it did it again, but I didnt notice it as much, but still noticeable. I babied it home, then as I parked it in the garage, I put it in neutral, and sat there for a minute. As I sat there, it idled down, really low, to about 100 or 200 rpm, then all of a sudden, revved back up to 700-1000 rpm. I thought something was binding in the transmission, but I don't really think that its the tranny. I'm going to ohm test the injectors, and TPS tomorrow. That's my only clue as of where to start. I really hate to take it to the mechanic, as I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I know I didnt describe the symptoms very well, but I have trouble putting them into words. I figured an injector being clogged, or a misfire, would be more noticeable throughout all rpms and gears. Oh, and I notice it most in 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear, at around 1500-2000 rpm. As it lugs and slows down, if you don't let off, and keep on the gas, it has very little power, but eventually picks back up with the power again. And sometimes, I notice it more sluggish trying to move in 1st gear, then normal. I know 33's with 3.07's aren't the best in 1st, but I know that the sluggishness I notice, isn't the average I experience. If anyone has any idea where to start, or any clues to as what may be the problem, I'd gladly appreciate it

1995, 4.0, 5 speed, 6" lift, 33's, and 3.07's, with 141k miles.

EDIT: This may sound weird, but I drove it for the first time yesterday in the cooler weather (40-50 degrees), when its normally been in the 80's here. And It didn't happen till I drove it in colder weather. My engine temperature is around 210 most of the time, sometimes between 210 and the red when I'm wheeling. Is this normal?

Last edited by zak873; 10-02-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

check to see throttle valve or sensors could be causing you problems. If your intake butterfly valve were hanging up it could cause the pedal to get hard.

Originally Posted by zak873
Yesterday (saturday), I was driving home from the motocross track, when my jeep started to slow down, lug a bit, and the gas pedal got stiff. I left off the gas, then pushed the pedal back down, and it was fine. No problems for about, 5 miles and then it did it again. I then pulled into a subdivision, checked my oil, for leaks, and any other signs of something, but turned up nothing. So, today, I thought maybe it was something binding in the transmission due to low fluid, so I drained the old fluid, and added new. Also, I put in new spark plugs. Took it for a drive, and it did it again, but I didnt notice it as much, but still noticeable. I babied it home, then as I parked it in the garage, I put it in neutral, and sat there for a minute. As I sat there, it idled down, really low, to about 100 or 200 rpm, then all of a sudden, revved back up to 700-1000 rpm. I thought something was binding in the transmission, but I don't really think that its the tranny. I'm going to ohm test the injectors, and TPS tomorrow. That's my only clue as of where to start. I really hate to take it to the mechanic, as I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I know I didnt describe the symptoms very well, but I have trouble putting them into words. I figured an injector being clogged, or a misfire, would be more noticeable throughout all rpms and gears. Oh, and I notice it most in 1st, 2nd, and 4th gear, at around 1500-2000 rpm. As it lugs and slows down, if you don't let off, and keep on the gas, it has very little power, but eventually picks back up with the power again. And sometimes, I notice it more sluggish trying to move in 1st gear, then normal. I know 33's with 3.07's aren't the best in 1st, but I know that the sluggishness I notice, isn't the average I experience. If anyone has any idea where to start, or any clues to as what may be the problem, I'd gladly appreciate it

1995, 4.0, 5 speed, 6" lift, 33's, and 3.07's, with 141k miles.

EDIT: This may sound weird, but I drove it for the first time yesterday in the cooler weather (40-50 degrees), when its normally been in the 80's here. And It didn't happen till I drove it in colder weather. My engine temperature is around 210 most of the time, sometimes between 210 and the red when I'm wheeling. Is this normal?