Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

knocking.vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default knocking.vibrating

so recently my jeep has a quiet knocking or a ticking like climbing a hill on a wooden coaster is the closest way to describe it, at lower speeds and stoping and then when i go faster like up to 55 and such it is like a vibrating that i can feel. i cant tell if its front back or middle.
its a 96 with aw4 and a 231 n all stock any ideas best i could think would but u joint or cv joint but idk. thanks in advance,
Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

What vibrates? The steering wheel? The whole xj?

The tick could be many things. Might need more specifics on that one. Things to check: zip ties in the drive shaft (hehehe), engine knocking, transmission flex plate, or transfer case handle hitting th body.

One way to check the joints is to get under her and try and spin the drives shafts to check for any play in the joints.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Starting to tick lol. I use Rotella 15/40 engine oil for my Jeep. It is great for our flat tappet engines. Has Zinc additives which is not in regular oil. Should help quiet down the ticking.

My first thoughts on the vibration is motor and tranny mounts. There is a motor mount write up in our write-ups section. It is fairly easy with very few tools needed.

You should be able to visually inspect the Rubber.