Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Klunk from front of my 94 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output
Question Klunk from front of my 94 Cherokee

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

BACKGROUND: I have a '94 Cherokee, in line six 4.0L high output motor, manual 5sp trans. stock suspension--no lift, with 30x9.5 tires. This is my daily driver, so is doesn't see any hardcore 4x4 action. I own a 4x4 out of necessity, my house when I bought the vehicle, was 5 miles up a dirt road (2500 foot elevation change) from the "town" which had 2 paved streets...in snow country. I bought the rig new in the fall of '93. It was vandalized a number of years ago...somebody poured syrup ("they" think) in the oil fill (wife left it unlocked) the motor was replaced at about 85,000 miles. It now has 145,000 miles. The vehicle has been totally trouble free until earlier this week. I have had to do NOTHING other than maintenance, ever.

THE PROBLEM: I backed out of the driveway put it in first gear and heard a clunking from what sounded like the front end. If I chop the throttle or push in the clutch petal it stops instantly. If I accelerate slowly I can avoid the clunk. The sound is louder when I turn and accelerate. I can feel it in the floor board and steering wheel. At first it was intermittent, by the next day it was consistent. I tried engaging the 4 wheel drive and for the first time ever had a little grind when in engaged.

I suspected I had a wheel bearing going out for some time, and with this new noise I suspected the front outer axle u-joints to be the culprit. I figured since I have been a bad owner, and have never changed the u-joints I would change them out on both sides. Tore apart the right side--what a nightmare...15 years of rust...the u-joint was fine. The grease was about gone and a bit thicker than it should have been but all needle bearings were intact and it moved smoothly in all directions. …Same story for the right side. I also replaced the hub assembly on both sides since the suspect wheel bearing did need to be replaced, though it was not in terrible condition.

It was also time to change the front diff fluid. I pulled it apart and saw nothing amiss. HOWEVER, if I grab the front drive shaft and turn it, there seems to be a touch of slop.

This did not fix the problem.

Transmission fluid full. Transfer case fluid full. Front and rear diff fluid full. Rear drive shaft u-joints appear to be in as good or better condition than the front outer axle u-joints. (I have new u-joints to change them out anyway.) The front drive shaft u-joints appear to be in good shape as well.

Help.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Some slop is normal in drivelines, unless what you are talking about is exsessive. You seem to be fairly adept with autos ,so i hope i don't offend you by asking if you have checked the moter mounts , transmission mount , as well as all the mounts for the exaust?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by radio flyer
Some slop is normal in drivelines, unless what you are talking about is exsessive. You seem to be fairly adept with autos ,so i hope i don't offend you by asking if you have checked the moter mounts , transmission mount , as well as all the mounts for the exaust?
i checked the motor mounts and transmission mounts and all are in good condition. i did not, however, check the exhaust mounts... i will do that.

it has become more than just a noise now...i took 'er for a spin and the klunk will actually slow the vehicle down so i suspect it is drivetrain related.

the slop was not what i would consider to be excessive. maybe a 1/8 of a turn max...probably less.

could it be the transfer case? this thing has not been abused at all...maybe i should have abused it so i would have a good reason for it to be broken!!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM

if i disconnect the front drive shaft, do any of you think that will give more insight to the problem? i may disconnect tonight to see what i hear. the klunking/knocking/popping is getting worse...(i drove it to work today).

klunk, klunk, klunk, klunk....
Old 03-09-2009, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Redbeard
if i disconnect the front drive shaft, do any of you think that will give more insight to the problem? i may disconnect tonight to see what i hear. the klunking/knocking/popping is getting worse...(i drove it to work today).

klunk, klunk, klunk, klunk....
yes drop the front DS that will help pin point the problem

check the ball joints if they go bad the axle u joint will bind and clunk
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM

well no drive shaft removal yet...its soaking in PB Blaster. i couldn't get it to budge...maybe tomorrow. what ever the issue is, it might just break before i have the opportunity to try it without the front DS.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Where are you , that you have to soak bolts w/ pb? I have lived in co. all my life and am lucky to not have the rust prob. that so many people have to deal with!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:52 AM

i was in Idaho for 11 years and now i have been on the CA coast for the last (almost) 5 years.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

I also have a 94 xj and had a problem in the transfer case. I overhauled it once and put a new chain in it only to have more problems later on so I resorted to a case from a '99 low mileage xj along with the newer driveshaft because it is a bit shorter than our original. I did so about eight months ago and have had nothing but perfect results as the design seems to be considerably better. Your problem sounds the same as mine where the rear output bearing is moving back and forth allowing the case to partially engage which is where the pop comes from because the gears are not actually locked together so it is as if the were slipping. Mine was definitely worse on takeoff like you described, and it made the grinding sound if you tried to put into 4wheel. I agree that you are going the right direction.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jeepfreak82
I also have a 94 xj and had a problem in the transfer case. I overhauled it once and put a new chain in it only to have more problems later on so I resorted to a case from a '99 low mileage xj along with the newer driveshaft because it is a bit shorter than our original. I did so about eight months ago and have had nothing but perfect results as the design seems to be considerably better. Your problem sounds the same as mine where the rear output bearing is moving back and forth allowing the case to partially engage which is where the pop comes from because the gears are not actually locked together so it is as if the were slipping. Mine was definitely worse on takeoff like you described, and it made the grinding sound if you tried to put into 4wheel. I agree that you are going the right direction.
thanks for the replies everyone. it is good/bad to hear that you suffered the same problem, jeepfreak82. i appreciate the input i have received. i was afraid it was the TC.. it makes me rethink trying to remove the front DS after a bit of soaking...since i suspect you are correct with your diagnosis. if the rear output bearing is moving in a similar fashion, it seems a moot point.

the kicker, today, i developed a new noise...it sounds like a throwout bearing. when it rains it pours.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

i was in Idaho for 11 years and now i have been on the CA coast for the last (almost) 5 years.
what part of Cali
I'm San Louis Obispo county
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
what part of Cali
I'm San Louis Obispo county
cool! in in Santa Cruz!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

cool! in in Santa Cruz!
do you go to Hollister hills very often
Old 03-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
do you go to Hollister hills very often
i get to Hollister fairly often to ride my dirt bike. i don't often 4x4 the jeep for fun since i cant afford to break anything...it is my daily driver. i have never done any 4x4 at Hollister...i have heard good and bad.

do you make it there much? do you like it?

Last edited by Redbeard; 03-10-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

one time I had fun

Quick Reply: Klunk from front of my 94 Cherokee