Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

KIT question

Old 05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Exclamation KIT question

any body heard of these lift kits ? the 3 " one .... is it n e good or just a gimmic

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html
Old 05-28-2010, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If the proaganda they spew doesn't make you puke, they are OK. Never really heard anything bad about their product, but have heard bad things about customer service and such.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 93gc40
If the proaganda they spew doesn't make you puke, they are OK. Never really heard anything bad about their product, but have heard bad things about customer service and such.

lol im just nervous about putting my first lift kit together.. i dont want to screw up my jeep... she already sags so a aal kit just doesnt sound very smart
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

never heard of them . i did RC 4.5 with 1.5 shackles an 2.0 spacers up front from daystar
Old 05-28-2010, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

I agree an AAL is NOT the way to go. Especially with saggy springs. You sig says you already have a 3" RC kit. Why not just install it.

How much lift do you want? How do you plan to use it? How healthy is your budget? You really need to answer these.... What is the status of your Preventative Maintenance. If your are planning on a lift, and don't want issues. You need to be sure the rest of the rig is in top condition. Search on "Death Wobble", regardless of what you will read the main cause is, Lifting before Fixing. I promise that if there is any worn drive-line, suspension or steering parts, you will have problems caused by any lift.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

I agree an AAL is NOT the way to go. Especially with saggy springs. You sig says you already have a 3" RC kit. Why not just install it.

How much lift do you want? How do you plan to use it? How healthy is your budget? You really need to answer these.... What is the status of your Preventative Maintenance. If your are planning on a lift, and don't want issues. You need to be sure the rest of the rig is in top condition. Search on "Death Wobble", regardless of what you will read the main cause is, Lifting before Fixing. I promise that if there is any worn drive-line, suspension or steering parts, you will have problems caused by any lift.

the rough country kit is sitting in my garage .... its not on because i keep hearing so much terrible stuff about aal.... car drives great and is in great cond... just sags in the back because i think the shocks r shot... bushing is blown... and im new to lifting... budget blows... im in nursing school
Old 05-28-2010, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hitalonit
the rough country kit is sitting in my garage .... its not on because i keep hearing so much terrible stuff about aal.... car drives great and is in great cond... just sags in the back because i think the shocks r shot... bushing is blown... and im new to lifting... budget blows... im in nursing school
Put the lift on, why spend more money, now. Even with your saggy springs it will be an improvemnet, might not get the full 3" in the rear. AAl are not BAD, they are just not as good as new springs. At some point in the future you can upgrade from there. New rear springs, a SYE, ect. I'd bet your next paycheck that there are things you should be fixing on your Jeep, instead of replacing the lift you already have.

Shocks do not affect the lift or your sagging. Shocks make the ride comfortable and help maintain stability, period.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

ill tell you this the pic of the xj with the 3 inch is bull****. i have a # inch on mine n i get no where near that much flex with it and neither do to other people i know that have 3 inches on theirs.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Put the lift on, why spend more money, now. Even with your saggy springs it will be an improvemnet, might not get the full 3" in the rear. AAl are not BAD, they are just not as good as new springs. At some point in the future you can upgrade from there. New rear springs, a SYE, ect. I'd bet your next paycheck that there are things you should be fixing on your Jeep, instead of replacing the lift you already have.

Shocks do not affect the lift or your sagging. Shocks make the ride comfortable and help maintain stability, period.

Yea very true... i need to paint it lol, so lift it i will! and we'll c where it goes from thier
Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by phillyxj570
ill tell you this the pic of the xj with the 3 inch is bull****. i have a # inch on mine n i get no where near that much flex with it and neither do to other people i know that have 3 inches on theirs.

i know ... eitherr that or that jeep was a mess after the photo opp

Last edited by hitalonit; 05-28-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by phillyxj570
Then I would say you and the others did something wrong on your lift. I could get more flex that that out of mine, with the stock suspension in and the swaybars disconnected. With My 3.5" bastard lift I get much more flex than shown in the pic.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by hitalonit
any body heard of these lift kits ? the 3 " one .... is it n e good or just a gimmic

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbudget.html
I'm familiar with them. Buy at your own risk. Here's the skinny: They sell good quality stuff. Their budget boost was my first lift, but I went with the shackle, not AAL. Any product with their name on it that I have seen is super beefy and well engineered.

BUT!

They are a terrible company to deal with. Customer Service is zero. They are not helpful. No patience. They'll take your money and not tell you an item is back ordered. They will bill you immediately even tho they say they'll bill when they ship. They will advertise free shipping, then hit you with a "handling charge". They will argue and call you a moron. They have been kicked off ebay more than once but they change username & return. I could go on & on, and none of it's good. Go to Jeepforum & search their name. You'll see.

Now you know. Buyer beware.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

Rocky road is also old man emu if i am correct there suspension as stated above is great and beefy i have heard it is some of the best riding suspension around..but never experienced it, my dad is going with there 3" kit for his YJ due to so many of his friends loving there product. I my self am probably going to buy there BB kit if i don't just buy the cheaper 2" kit with spacers and shackles from another company.

Didn't know about there customer service and that is a very helpful thing to know, thanks for the info on that StationWagon..i think that my be my deciding factor cause i don't like dealing with stupid people trying to give me a line of BS.

I also thought that they stated in there BB portion for XJ's they didn't believe in AAL..i could be mistaken but i thought there BB kit is 3" coil spacers, 1.5" shackles and a 1.5" block.(which i don't like)..would rather a 3 inch shackle then a block..ill take the chance of having a bad shackle angle.

If you don't mind loosing an inch check out fat bob's garage..here is a link to there 2" kit with spacers and shackles
http://store.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-...001-p1984.aspx

Last edited by n_csmith; 05-29-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Originally Posted by n_csmith
Rocky road is also old man emu if i am correct...

No. Rocky Road is NOT - I repeat: NOT Old Man Emu. Rocky Road is an American business based in Utah & owned by a man named Glen Wakefield. Old Man Emu is a company based in Australia, known for their extremely hi quality (if a bit pricey) suspension systems. But RR does sell OME stuff, as do many other retailers. If you're looking for good solid advice on lifts, quality, size, products and a very good price, go to DPG Offroad. They also carry OME suspensions. The owner's name is Dirk and he knows all about the products he sells, plus he will take the time to explain what you don't know. From personal experience I can tell you that Dirk will never push products on you. Ask him a question, I guarantee he'll steer you in the right direction. Quadratec also sells Old Man Emu if that's the way you're looking.

I run OME springs & shocks - front & rear and have for several years ...