Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Kill switch installation! please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L
Default Kill switch installation! please help!

So I have been doing research about installing a kill switch because my jeep has already been broken into and I just want peace of mind. I have talked to guys who focus on the fuel pump power but that means someone could still crank on your startend make it a couple hundred yards. is there a way to place a switch between the battery and the stater? so it just breaks the hot line? and also I know beople do it with the main ground, but that resets your computer every time. any thoughts?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

yeah
.. theres a way that you can disable the starter via a relay. I have used this a few times and it works good. I dont have a diagram on hand but I will try to put something together for you. You can also wire it to a siren so that when you have the kill switch in the no start it would sound the horn or the siren scaring the crap out of the would be thief and alerting you of trouble. The wiring would be hooked into the column wiring and a small switch mounted in a discreet place.

Other way to disable is by using the brake switch. You would have to press the brake to energize a relay in order to feed power to the starter.

I used a bosch type realy for this and I havent had any issues. Most of the aftermarket car starters and antitheft devices use the same bosch style relay as the xj uses for the fuel pump relay etc... Let me know if you are intrested in that. total cost depends on wether or not you have the realy and the harness for the relay and the little stuff like some 14 guage or even 12 guage wire and switch to kill the starter. Lastly it also depends on your abilities....
Old 07-22-2009, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Dude! that sounds awesome, Im generally not a big fan of relays cuz ive had problems in the past but thats a goodheads up, Ive heard of the whole brake thing too, but I and probably other people put the foot on brake when starting from habbit. i have heard of people doing it where you have to put your left rn signal on to start. Im good with light wiring but not intricate wiring like that. I found a nice actual kill switch with this big key so you can remove i and take it with you. its a havy duty switch. hould I just cut power to starter and put that in mid wire to cut the flow. your ideas sound more professional though
Old 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM

thing is that the relay is intended to handle the current. for the most part though you could make it look soooo stock and hard to trace out also switches will tnd to fail quicker but for something like what you intend on using it for you would have to turn it on before energizing it and turn it off when its deenergized which would allow the switch to last longer.

but kill switch is easy and you could hook it up to a number of switches.i personally prefer the discreet switch like one mounted to the power controls of my seat.things like that you would never really think of..

Last edited by bishop letov; 07-22-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: eating and trying to type
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Ya deffinetly I wou have fun finding a place! youse system sounds good! you know that piece of trim on the dash below the steering column? well if you pop that off theres a big hollow spot, I put a knife in there just in case I get carjacked or whatever WABAM
Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

the fuel pump kill switch works great and if your parked somewhere where your actually worried about it just kill the pump before you shut it down to clearout any left over gas and after that it wont even start....mine will just barely start even if i havent drained the lines and if it does its usually not long enough to even put it in drive

but the starter kill is good too i would have done the relay method if the place that installed my alarm hadnt thrown in an immobilizer to sell me on the alarm

but i still like the fuel kill that way if the ****** figure one out or it fails theres still the other to stop it from goin anywhere or atleast stall the idiots long enough that they move on or you show up

BTW i love that badass bumper ya got nice work
Old 07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

i was thinking of this mod with all our jeeps since there's been a rash of jeep/off road trucks thefts in my area lately.
my tj has been rummaged through 7 times and the wifey's tj twice last year. however my top and doors were off all summer, so that didn't help.
although i don't keep anything other than change in the tj, i do keep all my recovery gear and whatnot in my xj.

but i was thinking of a switch on the cps somewhere.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Ya thanks man, It was mostly my buddys design, he makes a bunch of bumpers and flatbeds, it weighs about 100 lbs and Ive hit cars, ice mounds, trees. haha and 0 damage
Old 07-23-2009, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

ya the fuel pump s not a bad Idea either. the only thing that I was thinking that the fuel pump is kind of well known, and also it the switch or relay ever failed while driving, thats bad news bears, whereas if it were the starter and it failed while driving then you could make it to where ever until you shut off your car, then you couldnt start it. does the main power go through the starter? or are there 2 main leads, one to the starter?
Bishop is designing me a kill switch diagram, hes damn knowlegeable on the stuff! and he has great Ideas
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Troth
ya the fuel pump s not a bad Idea either. the only thing that I was thinking that the fuel pump is kind of well known, and also it the switch or relay ever failed while driving, thats bad news bears, whereas if it were the starter and it failed while driving then you could make it to where ever until you shut off your car, then you couldnt start it. does the main power go through the starter? or are there 2 main leads, one to the starter?
Bishop is designing me a kill switch diagram, hes damn knowlegeable on the stuff! and he has great Ideas

also can be incorporated just by a switch on the fuel pump relay thats already there in the truck...
Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by caged
i was thinking of this mod with all our jeeps since there's been a rash of jeep/off road trucks thefts in my area lately.
my tj has been rummaged through 7 times and the wifey's tj twice last year. however my top and doors were off all summer, so that didn't help.
although i don't keep anything other than change in the tj, i do keep all my recovery gear and whatnot in my xj.

but i was thinking of a switch on the cps somewhere.
Switch on the cps could in fact affect performance. Although it could be minimal you have to remeber that when you add switches and relays to something like the cps you are adding resistance to that circuit and there by changing it slightly. It may be a minimal change at best but still being changed
there are a few other ways that you could protect your vehicle without going into such an important part... Cut out for the neutral safety switch. is one way and it would keep it all in the cab...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

ahhh, good point on the cps. never thought of that.

for the 99 and up tj's with the flip up drivers seat, some guys here will just flip the seat up against the steering wheel and drill a hole through the seat bracket and install a padlock so the seat can't be flipped back down.

as for the xj, what about a switch in the ballast resistor? or even just unplug one side. not many people know about those unless they have a jeep or an old mopar.

my tj has the sensory key, but i don't think that will stop an educated jeep thief.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM

Trust me I have tons of experience with this stuff. Ive been on the side of protecting them as well as taking them . i am bonded in the state of Pa as a repossessor and Ive been doing this kind of thing since i was 16... vats, pats,any factory alarm can be gotten passed with the right know how.. Even if not theres always letting it roll till you can safely pick it with a flatbead or tow and then again .. just back right up to it and lift it to take it... Ive repossessed cars with people sleeping inside them. they didnt know what was going on till the car was in the air and I was moving to a safe distance from the house... That being said... IF THEY WANT TO TAKE IT THERES ONLY A FEW WAYS TO STOP THEM.. Block it in with another vehicle and or chain it. Keep it indoors with inside only unlocking of the door, or hire someone to watch it.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L I6

bishops right if they really want it they will get it one way or another but for me my main worry is the crack heads that will steal your car for a free ride to their next drug dealer but since ive had the alarm i havent had a problem im guessing due to the little blinking LED which usually means you **** with this vehicle and its gunna make noise which they dont like as for the fuel pump i just cut into the main power wire and aslong as you dont cheap out on the switch failure shouldnt be a problem
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I have also used a relay to interupt power to the distributor. It was on an HEI GM dist but the same could be done for a Jeep by putting the relay in the power to the coil. Obviously this wouldnt work for the 00-01 with the COP (Coil on Plug) ignition.
I usually wire in mulitple kill switches for ignition, fuel pump, brake, etc.. The more they have to jack with to get it to start the less likely they are to steal it, especially if it is some punk kid. If a big time crook wants it, all they have to do it drag it ontop a flatbed or trailer and worry about starting it elsewhere..
But for some kid just trying to pop the ignition they wont have a clue.

Quick Reply: Kill switch installation! please help!