Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Kill a few birds with one thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Kill a few birds with one thread

Ok I have a few questions before I take the trip back to school in a few days.
I've done some research but please chime in with any info or things I have missed.

1.The transmission clunks pretty hard into drive, and there is a delay when I put it in Reverse. I'm not too concerned, its an old JEEP...just want to make sure it's not a sign or some bad transmission woes. From what i've read the most likely culprit is the rear U-joint or the tranmission bolts themselves?

Does that sound correct? or is there anything else I should check.

2. There is a little bit of rattling sorta sound coming from right below the shifter, especially heard at N and P, but also can be heard when taking off in Drive. If I jiggle around the handle for the 4WD i can make it stop (if i hold it in the right spot). I havent had a chance really to climb under this JEEP since I've had it...but what should I look for under there to fix this?

3. My Parttime 4WD does not show on the dashboard, as the fulltime does. Any relation to problem #2? hmmm. Also Its dark out now but tomorrow...I wanna check if its actually going into parttime and its just the light, or if its not at all. I know how to check for fulltime, but whats the best way to tell if im in parttime?

4. Oil pressure is right below 40 when I'm at idle (maybe close to 35), and in the higher 40's when I'm driving. Haven't noticed any leaks yet. Is this normal?

5. I also seafoamed today and did it through the BB (I took a video, it will be in my 'soon to be made" build thread). And there was a decent amount of smoke...but I heard going through the BB only gets the back two cylinders? Is this true?

If you guys can answer any of those questions or point me in the right direction It would be very much appreciated

Last edited by Fresh; 03-14-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

1: Yes, check driveshaft for play. Of course you dont have a year listed so I cant say much, but the AW4 manual says a 1-2 second delay for shifts into d/r is normal.

2: Tcase handle Rattle is normal, it was fixed in later years (99?) Try adjusting the linkage

3: Pry just the switch, a 15$ part and a 20 min job. Jack it up (both ends) put it in 4wd/trans neutral, and turn the tires. All 4 (or at least one front, one back) should turn.

4: Yes

5: No idea...

6: Its not a "car", Its a JEEP.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

4. yes, that is normal
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Defiance665
1: Yes, check driveshaft for play. Of course you dont have a year listed so I cant say much, but the AW4 manual says a 1-2 second delay for shifts into d/r is normal.

2: Tcase handle Rattle is normal, it was fixed in later years (99?) Try adjusting the linkage

3: Pry just the switch, a 15$ part and a 20 min job. Jack it up (both ends) put it in 4wd/trans neutral, and turn the tires. All 4 (or at least one front, one back) should turn.

4: Yes

5: No idea...

6: Its not a "car", Its a JEEP.
Thanks for the help, its a 1999 Sport btw. and I edited it to say jeep haha.

After driving this battle tank for over a year and calling it the jeep:

...the unlifted cherokee just seems a little car-like. But that will change this summer!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM
aj6
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

for number 2, theres a TSB out there on this, chrysler whent indepht on it. they fond out that the trans mount was the root cause problem... by puting a new would make it stop..
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by aj6
for number 2, theres a TSB out there on this, chrysler whent indepht on it. they fond out that the trans mount was the root cause problem... by puting a new would make it stop..
whats a TSB? (Yes i tried googling it!). So you think it might need a whole new mount all together?

Edit: oh is it a technical service bulletin?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Technical Service Bulletin

Ill look it up.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

TSB
NO: 21-09-98
SUBJECT: Transfer Case Shifter Noise
DATE: Jul. 31, 1998
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 21-02-97 REV. A, DATED, JULY 11, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILE AND NOTE IN THE 1997 BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-98004. THE BULLETIN ADDS MODELS AND ADDITIONAL PARTS. THE CHANGES ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A thumping or creaking noise may be heard coming from the transmission tunnel area on acceleration or while driving over bumpy roads.

DIAGNOSIS:
Road test the vehicle, if the noise is present and there are no worn or damaged parts relating to the transfer case shift mechanism, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04886481AA Repair Kit, Transfer Case Shifter(ZJ/ZG)
**1 05014148AA Repair Kit, Transfer Case Shifter(TJ/XJ)**

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves installing a transfer case shifter repair kit.

Disconnect the shift rods from the torque shaft.
Remove the torque shaft by prying the shaft out of the green torque shaft bushing in the transmission bracket. (Refer to Figure 1) Install new bushings on the torque shaft for XJ and TJ.
Remove the bronze bushing/retainer and rubber gasket from the body bracket.
Remove the green torque shaft bushing from the transmission bracket and install the new bushing supplied in the kit.
Insert the new gasket into the body bracket.
Install the bronze bushing/retainer and tightening the screws to 5 N•m (45 in. lbs.).
**NOTE: TJ AND XJ MODELS USE THE ORIGINAL TORQUE SHAFT WITH THE NEW PARTS SUPPLIED IN THE XJ/TJ KIT. ZJ/ZG REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF THE TORQUE SHAFT WHICH IS SUPPLIED IN THE ZJ/ZG KIT.**

Slide the boot on to the torque shaft and apply multipurpose grease ( MOPAR p/n 04318063 or equivalent) to the area that the bronze bushing will contact.
Install the torque shaft and seat the boot on the bushing retainer flange.
Connect the transfer case shift linkage and adjust as necessary.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...b-pics-574562/
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 PM

oh wow thanks a lot! I was able to find them online but it wanted me to pay to see how to repair it. Def. seems like thats my problem