Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

keyless unlock does not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default keyless unlock does not work

I have a 1999 jeep cherokee sport with keyless entry. The fob will lock the doors but not unlock. When pressing the unlock button the dome light comes on. All the switches in the door work. New key fob programmed by the dealership. The tech said to look for a broken wire. Could anyone tell me which wire would be for keyless unlock? I know i have to get a manual. ANYONE?
Old 03-12-2014, 10:13 PM

So here is a follow up in case anyone cares since nobody responded. The fob lock and panic buttons work. Just not the unlock. I checked the wires going from the door panel to the plug. All are good. Since the dealership charged me $155 for parts and programming I made a fuss. They agreed to check the keyless control module to see if it is defective. If it is good then I will check the blue wire going from the module to the plug by the passenger side kick panel.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Just saw your post I have a 99 also and my locks work interment still haven't found the problem. Oh yes I also paid a dealership $140 for a fob and programming a real rip-off.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

RKE module connects to the door lock system through the passenger door, I'd start looking there.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by salad
RKE module connects to the door lock system through the passenger door, I'd start looking there.
I dont think thats the problem. If it is it would be cheaper pitting in an aftermarket keyless system instead of getting a new one and have to have the key reprogramed. My bet is the receiver in the dome light housing. Dealership will test it today.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I think you misunderstoo me, how would programming and aftermarket systems be cheaper than fixing some broken wires?
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by salad
I think you misunderstoo me, how would programming and aftermarket systems be cheaper than fixing some broken wires?
Just smile and walk away lol. You gave something free to test before going back to the dealership. Lets go back to the underground rofl
Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 PM

an aftermarket system may not fix this.

In my 99 someone put in an aftermarket system and is also acting weird, it has been too cold to break out the volt meter.

My symptoms are the key fob and the drivers door switch for locking the doors will not lock the doors sometimes. The passengers switch works every time.

The fob and the drivers door switch will unlock the doors. Even when they will not lock the doors.

This is not annoying enough to freeze while troubleshooting, interesting enough to read all the posts on door lock issues where it is warm. Hoping to see good hints on where to look for a fault when warm enough to troubleshoot.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:57 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Have you looked at the RKE module itself(in the dome light)? Mine was fried. Found one in the JY that looks brand new.

Yeah I would make a fuss at $150 spent and it not working properly. Of course I wouldn't have spent $150 at a dealer when I can get the common problem parts for under $50.
But like others have said, check the wires in the passenger door jamb. And the RKE module.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Did you ever sort out your issues?

Originally Posted by jeep3200
an aftermarket system may not fix this.

In my 99 someone put in an aftermarket system and is also acting weird, it has been too cold to break out the volt meter.

My symptoms are the key fob and the drivers door switch for locking the doors will not lock the doors sometimes. The passengers switch works every time.

The fob and the drivers door switch will unlock the doors. Even when they will not lock the doors.

This is not annoying enough to freeze while troubleshooting, interesting enough to read all the posts on door lock issues where it is warm. Hoping to see good hints on where to look for a fault when warm enough to troubleshoot.
We're you ever able to sort this issue out? I am having the exact same issues as you are with my 2000 XJ that has an aftermarket key fob installed.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by Joey Garlem
We're you ever able to sort this issue out? I am having the exact same issues as you are with my 2000 XJ that has an aftermarket key fob installed.

Don't think he has been back in 4 plus years so doubt he will answer. I had same issue with mine. Mine had a bad RKE modelalso a broken wire overhead. I found and fixed the wire and purchased on eBay a used RKE and remote already programmed together think it was about 75 dollars. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
Joey Garlem (07-04-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I had this issue once and eventually it started blowing the fuse. It was broken wires in the boot passing from the body to the liftgate. For some reason it would only blow the fuse when unlocking. Sometimes just the driver door would unlock before the fuse blew.
Joey Garlem (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:04 AM

Default Liftgate!?

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I had this issue once and eventually it started blowing the fuse. It was broken wires in the boot passing from the body to the liftgate. For some reason it would only blow the fuse when unlocking. Sometimes just the driver door would unlock before the fuse blew.
It's funny that you mention the liftgate because I have noticed that intermittently when I use my liftgate that the locks will all lock with the keyfob. I probably need to look a bit closer into all of the wires passing through the rubber boots to the liftgate. I've got to get this sorted out because it's Driving me insane! Lol
Old 05-08-2021, 07:49 AM

Year: 2ppp
Engine: 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Sp Auto Trans(DGS

I have had multiple issues with my 2000 locks. I did diagnosis from the service manual and that helped incredibly. in the end of my fob did everything except unlock the doors so I check the continuity between the unlock wire to the passenger side module and found that it had perfect continuity so it is the fob itself. watch that thing so many times. but it was the little plastic button inside the fob itself that did not connect to the circuit board.if you do not have a service module send me a message and I will send you those pages or give you the whole thing. have one for 99 too
Old 12-31-2021, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline 6

FYI for anyone looking at this because your fobs are not working: Ensure you have qty 2 of CR2016 batteries installed in the fob and NOT just 1 CR2032. The fob works on 6 volts per the service manual and 3 volts will cause it to work intermittently and/or not at all. This is only for the fob and RKE, the door switches should work regardless.
lawsoncl (12-31-2021)