Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Key stuck in ignition HELP?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Key stuck in ignition HELP?!?

Hello everybody,i am back in the Jeep world again!! picked up a 94 Sport 161k for $400 tryin to get my old 33's to fit with a 3 inch lift so i can get back out there.......but........im gettin it together except one problem is stumping me.......the ignition key is stuck in the ignition ,it wont turn quite all the way back to lock,nor will it come out of the ignition.....basically it still works,with an absolute disregard for security this is no problem.....but i want to fix it,the PO said there was a "broken"cable under the dash(looks cut?)that goes to a solenoid/switch with a couple of wires coming out of it near the gas pedal.....now when you try to shut the key off the cable retracts into the cut off sleeve but the key will not go all the way back to lock.........any ideas how to fix this maybe quick and easy rather than replace the steering coluum or buy an expensive dealer part cable.......i dont care about the shifter interlock and take 100% responsibility for modifying it......thanx, Brian
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Try putting it in Park and giggling the shifter. Also giggle the steering wheel. One of those two things should allow you to remove the key. That may not work with a severed interlock cable but it is worth a try.
I would replace that cable with one from a junkyard.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:53 PM

thanx alot ive found a few other good threads on here about this too
Old 07-12-2009, 01:07 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: straight 6

the cable could be your speedo cable it should screw together about half way between the steering colum and the firewall as for the key go to auto zone you can get a new one for 11bucks with 2 keys if they dont have the jeep one an 89 chevy s10 one will work also you will need 2 different steering wheel pullers to do it but its fairly easy you can rent the pullers from autozone also 40bucks for both and when you return you get all 40back
or it could also be the rod going to your ignition switch might be stuck which is on the top of the coloum if this isnt going all the way back it wont let your key out in this case remove your dash besel around your gages and radio then pull the gages and the ignition switch is right behind there with 2 10mm nuts loosen them and you can adjust them or if broken its about 20bucks to replace while taking the gages out also you can see if that cable thats broken goes to your speedo cable if its a cable driven speedo

Last edited by thesundancekid; 07-12-2009 at 01:15 AM.