Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Keeps blowing a fuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Keeps blowing a fuse

I need help with pinpointing a electrical issue on my 2001 XJ. I have been eliminating possible causes and I feel im close to the problem. 1st off I would turn my headlights on and my tail lights and instrument cluster lights would not work. Also my blinkers work but when i press the brake they stay on. I let go of the brake and they resume as normal. This was very fustrating. I did the following to start the elimination of possible causes.

1. Checked all the bulbs. I had two bulbs out and i replaced them. Didnt fix the problems.

2. Dissasembled the instrument cluster and checked the bulbs. All were ok.

3. I checked the grounds behind the spare tire. While I was doing that i disconnected the trailer light kit that someone put in it and plugged it in normally. Ding!! My blinker problem was solved. They now work normally. Probably a short in the wires as i noticed sum where showing. But my dash lights still didnt work and my tail lights were not working yet, so more inspecting I did.

4. I checked the fuses. All the ones inside were good. I found one in the Engine bay that was bad. I replaced it and tah dah it fixed my tail light issue.

Ok heres my problem. My dashlights still dont work and when i turned the switched all the way to the left counter clockwise when i got towards the end of twisting it my fuse would blow. Same fuse that fixed my tail light issue. I replaced and did the same thing and poof it would blow over and over. I checked the bulbs behind the instrument cluster. All were fine.

What do you guys thing could be blowing that fuse? Only blows when I turn the headlight switch dimmer to the left. counter clockwise to turn on the interior lights. Other wise it doesnt blow the fuse. My dashlights still dont work. Any help will do.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

does the fuse fail, when the interior light is turned on? [using the headlight switch].

did you pull the headlight switch out and inspect the wires behind it? possible wire contacting back there....
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

yes the fuse fails when i try to turn it on. I tried to pull the headlight switch but couldnt figure out how to get it out of there. I pulled all the panels as i took the instrument cluster out to check the bulbs, but when i tried to pull the switch out, i couldnt figure out how to do so.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by raulbadillo
yes the fuse fails when i try to turn it on. I tried to pull the headlight switch but couldnt figure out how to get it out of there. I pulled all the panels as i took the instrument cluster out to check the bulbs, but when i tried to pull the switch out, i couldnt figure out how to do so.
Have you fixed this yet? I have a 2001 Cherokee and my instrument panel fuse (#6) keeps blowing. I followed all of the advice on these forums, removing all of the lights to see if the problem persists and it did. I ended up taking it to Dodge today to have them look at it. Of course, they blamed the light switch and I told them I don't think that's it but to try. They replace that and now he calls and says that 'smoke' is emitting from the cluster and the lights are flashing. So the problem isn't fixed and it looks like they did something to cause more problems.

I told him to put the old switch in and I'll just pay the diagnostic fee and be on my way. Of course he is charging me two hours of work now.

They wanted to charge me $1200 to send the cluster in to be rebuilt and still couldn't guarantee the work.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am looking to sell this thing but don't want to sell it with a problem like this.

Jim