Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Keepa dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline6
Default Keepa dying while driving

Well I hate electrical and I suck with it. So hear it is.

About 3 weeks ago the jeep died while I was driving home. Bad alternator. Read that if alternator does the battery does too usually. Got both checked. Both dead. Replace napa battery and alternator. 2 weeks later jeep dies while driving again. Get towed home. Charge battery over night. Stuck it in in the morning poof. Everything's fine. Jeep starts up for 3 days before I have to use it for work again. Drive to work just fine. Head to another property just now to help them with their shift and it dies on me. So hear I am stuck at a mall at 430am pissed with no ideas left. All the wires seem fine and the alternator and battery are only 2 weeks old each.

So my question is this. What do I do??
Old 01-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Reads like the charging system is not working properly and the jeep is running off battery power alone. Hence the three day drive time.
While I am not very familiar with 1990, I understand that the voltage regulator is part of the alternator, later models it is in the ECU.
Also, my 1996 XJ has a sensor in battery tray, when sensor reads that the battery has reached a set temperature, it cancels charging.
And make sure your serpentine belt is tight, if not that the alternator may not function correctly.

The following info is from master mechanic Cruiser54, regarding the 1990 XJ.
"You must have battery voltage at the alternator stud always, and ignition voltage at one of the two terminals in the alternator plug in order for the alternator to charge."
Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Blastonite
Well I hate electrical and I suck with it. So hear it is.

About 3 weeks ago the jeep died while I was driving home. Bad alternator. Read that if alternator does the battery does too usually. Got both checked. Both dead. Replace napa battery and alternator. 2 weeks later jeep dies while driving again. Get towed home. Charge battery over night. Stuck it in in the morning poof. Everything's fine. Jeep starts up for 3 days before I have to use it for work again. Drive to work just fine. Head to another property just now to help them with their shift and it dies on me. So hear I am stuck at a mall at 430am pissed with no ideas left. All the wires seem fine and the alternator and battery are only 2 weeks old each.

So my question is this. What do I do??

Is the battery dead again like before? If it is then Steve is correct and you need to check the complete charging system starting with all grounds for a good connection tight/clean. Then go on with cruiser's thoughts.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 01-28-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 Inline6

I've read over Cruisers Mostly Renix Tips a little bit now. And it's all very confusing to me. I was thinking of taking everything out but the motor and going over everything that way. But after sleeping on it and thinking about it that's prolly a horrible idea for me since again. No idea what I am doing. Lucky thing is my fiance and I work completely diff shift times so I can use her car no matter what I decide to do in the end. Thanks for the tips. I'll maybe post some updates if I can do anything about this soon.