Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Karnage Offroad Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Karnage Offroad Bumpers

Anybody tried anythng out from these guys and if so anybody have any installed pics?

I really like this winch bumper:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...=p4506.c0.m245

And there rear bumper also:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP-...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 09-12-2009, 05:11 PM

Year: 1995

Never seen that one before but it looks like a stout bumper. I would send them a message and find out how many bolts it mounts to your "framerails" with. I have a detours backbone and it has a total of 12. Very strong. Good luck with it and post up some pics if you decide to get it.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I can tell you I would not by any bumper unless you can see how it mounts to the frame rail and that it bolts up with at least 10 bolts if not the full 12.

As for me I am going with detours backbone and tail bone setup. Tailbone will be the first one then the backbone.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

good lookin bumper but like everyone else i would need to see how it mounts
Old 09-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Year: '91

UPS dropped mine off yesterday. I like!! Front bumper with grill guard and winch drop down weighs about 60#, the rear bumper with the 2" receiver hitch I guess weighs about 80#.
Front is held on with 6 bolts. The rear with 8 and also tied into the center brace where the original reese hitch was braced. I'm sure if you talk to Daniel he can add more if you want.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need so many bolts holding these bumpers on. I work with heavy equipment everyday. Seen CC SD with loaded trailers winched with the factory tow hook held on with two bolts. Seen Macks loaded out at 70k drug through axle deep mud by 10D dozers. The fronts have a tow point between frame rails thats held on with about a 6" weld on each side and the rear is a tow hook on the frame rail held by 3 bolts. Why a uni-body vehicle that weighs less than 4k needs more grade 8 bolts holding a bumper than a 20 ton truck is beyond me.

Last edited by johnferg69; 09-13-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 AM

Please throw up some pics when you gets yours on
Old 09-13-2009, 01:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

second link is same as first for the front. no rear bumper link. i have personally seen bumpers used as tow points ripped right out of stock bolt location. but, there are after market brackets you can buy to add a couple extra bolts on it.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM

I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need so many bolts holding these bumpers on. I work with heavy equipment everyday. Seen CC SD with loaded trailers winched with the factory tow hook held on with two bolts. Seen Macks loaded out at 70k drug through axle deep mud by 10D dozers. The fronts have a tow point between frame rails thats held on with about a 6" weld on each side and the rear is a tow hook on the frame rail held by 3 bolts. Why a uni-body vehicle that weighs less than 4k needs more grade 8 bolts holding a bumper than a 20 ton truck is beyond me.
The problem lies in the fact that the unibody construction in that area is not designed or thick enough to support the stress of a really hard pull. It might hold up to a lot of lighter weight pulls, but you take a loaded XJ buried to the rails and try to drag it out through sticky mud. Now you're gonna run into problems. The mud or rocks or whatever is holding you back, will exert a lot of force on the XJ. Buried in the mud can easily double the pulling weight when trying to pull it out, and the thin metal on the unibody just will not take it for long. The examples you've listed, were attached to strong, thick metal points to begin with. If the XJ had a thicker front uniframe section, then the 6 Grade 8 bolts would be plenty. It's not the bumper's nor the bolt's fault, it's the weak uniframe. That's why everyone suggests more bolts. It's not the more bolts that matter as much as getting the bolts further up the uniframe, making for more metal between the bolt and the bumper. Don't get me wrong though, the more bolts help as well. I thought everyone I had read saying the uniframe was weak, were exaggerating a lot about how weak it was. Well, I proved to myself how weak it really is. I'm installing a bastard pack lift in the rear of mine and had my jack-stands supporting the rear just in front of the front spring eye mount. I put them with the U shape running longways with the frame cause the base is wider that way, trying to eliminate front to back movement. Well, I jacked the Jeep up and found the frame rail had an indention on each rail from one ear of the U from my jack-stands. I never would have dreamed it would bend that easy.

Last edited by knobturner75; 09-13-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM

Here's you link for the rear bumper.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 AM

I was going to ask about combining the Karnage bumper with these bumper tie-in brackets from JCR Offroad to make the bumper a stronger, safer option to get, but then with shipping and all, you're over $460. You could go this route for a cheaper alternative then the Karnage/JCR route, with close to the same look.

Last edited by knobturner75; 09-13-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm looking into a winch bumper, but I dont like the prerunner style. When I seen that one it was sleek and the hoops were fairly low profile and didnt stick up way high or way out in front of you.

I'm looking for a wraparound unit, with winch mounting. I'd like something like this if ony it had a fiarlead on it, and a winch mounted in behind the bumper (kinda hidden from view):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...10-add1-th.jpg

I'd like to have the winch mounted behind the bumper outta sight. If I cant find anything I'll probaly just go with a RockHard unit or something similar.

I like the Detours Backbone/Tailbone but the whole purpose of getting bumpers is to get rid of my factory plastic end caps
Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by 97XJMopar
I'm looking into a winch bumper, but I dont like the prerunner style. When I seen that one it was sleek and the hoops were fairly low profile and didnt stick up way high or way out in front of you.

I'm looking for a wraparound unit, with winch mounting. I'd like something like this if ony it had a fiarlead on it, and a winch mounted in behind the bumper (kinda hidden from view):
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...10-add1-th.jpg

I'd like to have the winch mounted behind the bumper outta sight. If I cant find anything I'll probaly just go with a RockHard unit or something similar.

I like the Detours Backbone/Tailbone but the whole purpose of getting bumpers is to get rid of my factory plastic end caps
You can run the backbone with no bumper, I am. I actually just finshed putting on my 01 front end and clipping the bottom of my fenders. I am going to take the front bumper mounts off. At one point I planned on putting the bumper back on, but now after seeing it without one, I have changed my mind. It may not be for everyone but I like it.
Attached Images    
Old 10-09-2009, 12:53 AM

I am Daniel, the owner of Karnage Offroad. I offer complete tie in brackets made from solid 3/8" x 5" plate. No one that I have seen sells their bumpers with all 3/8" brackets. I have seen someone total their XJ with my bumpers on it, scrap the Jeep and THEN SELL THE BUMPERS FOR MORE THAN THEY PAID FOR THEM. I will build most anything you can come up with, stronger, better. karnageoffroad@yahoo.com
Old 10-09-2009, 12:55 AM

come view my pic album for installed pics of all Karnage bumpers. I do not have pics of the tie-in brackets yet, but they are soon to come.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by karnageoffroad
come view my pic album for installed pics of all Karnage bumpers. I do not have pics of the tie-in brackets yet, but they are soon to come.
This was the first time that I've ever heard your products...
Looks pretty good though... I wanna here some feedback from those who already have those bumpers installed...

Quick Reply: Karnage Offroad Bumpers