Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just discovered wrong connections to Starter Relay!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Just discovered wrong connections to Starter Relay!

I finally got my grounds refreshed with Cruiser54 and others help. I've been having trouble with burning wires for three years now. They usually show at the NSS wires. The NSS wires were fixed by another mechanic once and then by myself two years ago. Sparking wires again about a month ago even with the key off in the NSS wires and somewhere near the starter relay. Before I get to the punch line, here's a picture of my relay...
Attached Thumbnails Just discovered wrong connections to Starter Relay!-starter-relay.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 03:13 PM

As you can see, it is mounted upside down compared to most. And maybe you noticed that the Orange Fuel Pump Ballast Resistor Terminal is plugged into the G terminal!! It's harder to see, but the black wire with a white stripe that comes out of the main harness next to the battery is plugged into the Ballast Resistor terminal!! It's been like that for at least two years now (also have found disconnected sensors and broken wires) and, of course, the jeep has been running like doodoo for a few years.
I was just wondering what other problems this setup may have caused and if it has anything to do with the Black and White wire for the NSS burning. I believe that that NSS wire attaches to this one that was wrongly placed on the Relay. The Black wire and the Black and White in pins B and C are the ones that fry. From there I guess I have to chase and replace that Black and White wire both directions (inside the harness to the Starter Relay and under the dash to the ECU).
Attached Thumbnails Just discovered wrong connections to Starter Relay!-main-harness-nss-connector.jpg  
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM

This car has been a family car for 27 years and it was operating most of the time with this wiring situation going on! I haven't been able to do a good test of the Starter Relay but I notice that the Fuel Pump Ballast Resistor terminal is loose. I don't want to even connect the battery yet until I fix whatever wires I need to. I wanted to buy new wiring harnesses a month ago but discovered that Mopar has discontinued years before '91. Any ideas on how to easily replace this Black and White wire AND find out if anymore wires near it need replacing WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE WHOLE HARNESS????!!!!!
Old 02-10-2017, 03:51 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cristoviejo
This car has been a family car for 27 years and it was operating most of the time with this wiring situation going on! I haven't been able to do a good test of the Starter Relay but I notice that the Fuel Pump Ballast Resistor terminal is loose. I don't want to even connect the battery yet until I fix whatever wires I need to. I wanted to buy new wiring harnesses a month ago but discovered that Mopar has discontinued years before '91. Any ideas on how to easily replace this Black and White wire AND find out if anymore wires near it need replacing WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE WHOLE HARNESS????!!!!!
The terminal is loose inside the relay?
Old 02-10-2017, 04:00 PM

Don't know about inside yet , the terminal wiggles. (from outside)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Don't know about inside yet , the terminal wiggles. (from outside)
Terminal on the wire wiggles on the relay male spade, or male spade wiggles on relay?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Yeah, sorry , I have the solenoid disconnected and sitting on my table and the male spade wiggles a little. BUT, since I haven't properly tested it yet with +12V I am now only assuming that it probably is or did work OK and that is why the black and white wire fried which completes the starting circuit only in P or N. This is what I get for allowing incompetent mechanics to work on my car without proper supervision!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:15 PM

If it hasn't burned to the ground by now, I would put the wires where they go and see what happens.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
If it hasn't burned to the ground by now, I would put the wires where they go and see what happens.
As I am discovering all of these little missing or wrongly routed wiring incidents , all I can do is laugh, especially today when I discovered that a wire meant for ground has been sitting on +12 V for years! AND it's still running!. I can't wait to try it since the family is wondering when their ride will be back in service but I'm going to review notes on bypassing the NSS again because I just bought a new one and I don't want to burn it up right away.
Attached Thumbnails Just discovered wrong connections to Starter Relay!-new-old-nss-cable.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 08:12 AM

Well, as far as I can tell, having the wires running correctly to the Starter Relay has solved the root problem. I'll wait a couple of days to make sure before I install the new NSS. Now I need to follow your test procedures for sensors to find out why it still runs rough. Also, I need to solve a small leak of coolant from the left side of the engine that appears to be coming from above where the CTS is. Thanks for your help Cruiser.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Refresh my memory.

Have you completed Tips 1,3,4, and 5?
Old 02-13-2017, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Refresh my memory.

Have you completed Tips 1,3,4, and 5?
Not, yet. I have completed Tip 1 except for the part about the fuel pump ground. I will do that and start in on Tips 3 , 4 and 5.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Not, yet. I have completed Tip 1 except for the part about the fuel pump ground. I will do that and start in on Tips 3 , 4 and 5.
Those are very important as a base starting point.