Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jumping the Neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jumping the Neutral safety switch

Hey guys, Other than any disclaimer that should be noted with any bypassing of any safety switches. What would be the real ramifications as far as performance that would be affected by jumping out the neutral safety switch. I'm well aware that doing this would give the vehicle the ability to be started while in reverse or drive, and how unsafe it is. But is there anything else that I'm not thinking of? Performance wise? I totally understand the decision in making this choice, just wondering other than the obvious, what would happen to run it that way from now on.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
Hey guys, Other than any disclaimer that should be noted with any bypassing of any safety switches. What would be the real ramifications as far as performance that would be affected by jumping out the neutral safety switch. I'm well aware that doing this would give the vehicle the ability to be started while in reverse or drive, and how unsafe it is. But is there anything else that I'm not thinking of? Performance wise? I totally understand the decision in making this choice, just wondering other than the obvious, what would happen to run it that way from now on.
I would never bypass the safety switch but I did install a second (covered) push button override power source to the starter solenoid. To be used only if it won't run and needs to be rolled out of the way using the starter to drive it. Like off railroad tracks or out of intersections.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Is the nss giving you problems?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The computer may not be able to tell what gear you were in and not run the trans right .
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by HITDOGG
Why not try removing the NSS, opening it up, cleaning it, and putting new dielectric grease in? I wouldn't bypass it regardless. Aside from the renix-era Jeeps, the ECU detects signal from the NSS and the TCU so they're all tied together.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the input guys, exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah it's giving me a little bit of trouble, just an every now and then thing. I have taken it off and cleaned it. I didn't use dielectric grease when I put it back together, just some grease I had. I reckon it's worth taking apart and trying again with some dielectric. It's not that hard of a job. I was just wanting to know the ramifications if I just jumped it. I'm used to driving quirky vehicles, so a safety bypass wouldn't bother me. I certainly don't wanna mess with the computer though.

Last edited by HITDOGG; 10-11-2017 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Year: 96

I have been driving my 96 that way (daily) for over a year with no problems.
It does throw a code but that's it.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Taking it off and servicing it is the thing to do. But if I'm not mistaken it was cruiser54 who found out the contacts in his were worn out so servicing didn't work.