Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeeps ans their electrical type issues...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default jeeps ans their electrical type issues...

so I was driving to work this am and while looking at speedometer, it and my tach simply went dead... So I kept driving and watched as the speedo would jump to life (at the wrong speed) then the each would do the same... I let this happen for a few seconds then gave the top of the dash a little love tap and boom! They work fine again... The other day I was driving and discovered I had no brake lights. It was a fuse in the engine bay block, but is there a connection with these two thing? I suppose that if there is a loose wire, or something of the nature, then it could be causing any number of odd things to happen... My other issue with the thing is every time I start it and go to drive, it will buck and chug and hesitate. If I floor it for a sec. Then it goes away. I have replaced the o2 sensors and like everything under the hood related to the ignition/firing system.... So now I wonder if these latest electrical issues are connected to my firing issue? Any thoughts are welcome! Thanks!