Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep wont start!!!!! Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6
Default Jeep wont start!!!!! Please Help!!!

Okay this morning go out to my jeep try to start it up turn they key and all the electronics come on but the jeep doesnt even try to turn over....
I replaced my battery and starter today because of this and still wont start could it be my neutral safety switch or what?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM

Engine: 4.0L

check fuses and replace or check relays....dunno
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Start with verifying fuses/relay related to the starter. The main relay for the starter is in the power distribution center (black box under the hood on the passenger side). Swap the starter relay with one of the others; the relays are all the same part number so swapping is not a problem.

Try wiggling the shift lever or starting in neutral. If either of these techniques works, the neutral safety switch is your problem. Even if these techniques don't work, the NSS could still have failed.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

With your ignition switch in the ON position, check for 12 volts at the starter. If you have that, you still have some sort of starter problem. If you don't have battery voltage at the starter, then you need to start working your way backwards into the engine bay; NSS, cables, grounds, etc.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Start with verifying fuses/relay related to the starter. The main relay for the starter is in the power distribution center (black box under the hood on the passenger side). Swap the starter relay with one of the others; the relays are all the same part number so swapping is not a problem.

Try wiggling the shift lever or starting in neutral. If either of these techniques works, the neutral safety switch is your problem. Even if these techniques don't work, the NSS could still have failed.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

With your ignition switch in the ON position, check for 12 volts at the starter. If you have that, you still have some sort of starter problem. If you don't have battery voltage at the starter, then you need to start working your way backwards into the engine bay; NSS, cables, grounds, etc.
Well its definitely my NSS and i was actually using that same link and after i did it started i just didnt use the right lubrication and have to redo it tonight.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:49 PM

Well its not my my NSS i cleaned and re installed it and still no go. I have done some lookin around and only found it could be my crankshaft position sensor... no clue how to test it. but what else could it be?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Joshcherokee1997
Well its not my my NSS i cleaned and re installed it and still no go. I have done some lookin around and only found it could be my crankshaft position sensor... no clue how to test it. but what else could it be?
The crankshaft position sensor absolutely, positively has NOTHING to do with the starting circuit.

If the engine will not turn over, your problem is NOT the crank sensor.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Just because you cleaned the NSS doesn't mean it isn't bad!
Old 05-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

Well its definitely my NSS and i was actually using that same link and after i did it started i just didnt use the right lubrication and have to redo it tonight.
First NEVER buy and replace parts until you troubleshoot and find the problem. It can get costly.

tjwalker your instructions for testing for voltage at starter was right on but you turn the ignition switch to start not on. Easy mistake to make BTDT.

Since you tested the NSS and got it to start I would think the problem is in the NSS. What the NSS does, during starting, is provide a ground for the trigger circuit of the starter relay. The ignition switch provides the voltage thru the relay coil to ground thru the NSS only when the NSS is in park or neutral.

If you can do electrical testing you can test for this at the engine starter relay. Remove relay and find the terminals for the trigger circiut. Typically they are pin 86 and 85 but I believe Jeep has different designators. There should be a wiring diagram on the relay cover. Find the pin for the NSS ground and do a continuity test between that pin and ground. With the NSS in park or neutral you will have continuity. No continuity otherwise. The other pin will be for the ignition switch. Test for voltage with the ignition switch turned to start.

The other 2 pins are typically 30 and 87. Pin 30 has constant battery power. Pin 87 goes to the starter solenoid.

So when you turn the ignition to start, power goes from the ign switch to the relay thru the coil, thru the NSS to ground. This activates the relay. Now pin 30 connects to pin 87 energizing the starter solenoid and the starter engages.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:30 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Comanche

I had this problem at one point too. I definitely overlooked the problem because I didn't even think of it. The wire from the starter to the battery on mine fell out of the battery terminal. If you haven't already checked, it could be a possibility.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by ET JEEP
First NEVER buy and replace parts until you troubleshoot and find the problem. It can get costly.

tjwalker your instructions for testing for voltage at starter was right on but you turn the ignition switch to start not on. Easy mistake to make BTDT.

Since you tested the NSS and got it to start I would think the problem is in the NSS. What the NSS does, during starting, is provide a ground for the trigger circuit of the starter relay. The ignition switch provides the voltage thru the relay coil to ground thru the NSS only when the NSS is in park or neutral.

If you can do electrical testing you can test for this at the engine starter relay. Remove relay and find the terminals for the trigger circiut. Typically they are pin 86 and 85 but I believe Jeep has different designators. There should be a wiring diagram on the relay cover. Find the pin for the NSS ground and do a continuity test between that pin and ground. With the NSS in park or neutral you will have continuity. No continuity otherwise. The other pin will be for the ignition switch. Test for voltage with the ignition switch turned to start. Today im going to re clean and re lube my NSS and tried to get it working.

The other 2 pins are typically 30 and 87. Pin 30 has constant battery power. Pin 87 goes to the starter solenoid.

So when you turn the ignition to start, power goes from the ign switch to the relay thru the coil, thru the NSS to ground. This activates the relay. Now pin 30 connects to pin 87 energizing the starter solenoid and the starter engages.
First of all my starter was showin sign of going out.( it was still stock also the battery was a free replacement) so i was going to replace it either way so thats what i figured went wrong but im not good at wiring or testing voltage. But i found online that said if your reverse lights come on your NSS is working. but the first time i got it to start after I cleaned my NSS the first time was the only time it started. I have tried tinkering with my NSS and nothing i do gets it to start.

Last edited by Joshcherokee1997; 05-15-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by BillyFryBMX
I had this problem at one point too. I definitely overlooked the problem because I didn't even think of it. The wire from the starter to the battery on mine fell out of the battery terminal. If you haven't already checked, it could be a possibility.
I just replaced them recently but ill give them a good look over.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

see if your getting power to small wire on starter when key is turned to start position yet ?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by freegdr
see if your getting power to small wire on starter when key is turned to start position yet ?
X2 on the starter solenoid wire, if voltage is there , bypass the nss to test and eliminate.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay this morning go out to my jeep try to start it up turn they key and all the electronics come on but the jeep doesnt even try to turn over...
I replaced my battery and starter today because of this and still wont start could it be my neutral safety switch or what?
That's classic oxidized battery terminals, enough current to run accessories but not enough for the starter.

What are your current symptoms? Noises?

Did you clean the battery terminals?
Did you check the grounds on the block?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit
That's classic oxidized battery terminals, enough current to run accessories but not enough for the starter.

What are your current symptoms? Noises?

Did you clean the battery terminals?
Did you check the grounds on the block?
My ground and terminals all look good
When I turn the key it turn the electronics right on and no clicking or sounds of turning over. But it would start occasionally but with erratic shift and hard shifting. I'm just so lost with the whole thing

Quick Reply: Jeep wont start!!!!! Please Help!!!