Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

jeep wont start need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default jeep wont start need help

1997 xj 4.0 So I got my jeep running for I forgot to do the oil change after the head gasket I only ran the jeep for like 20 seconds then it shut off, I kno I messed up on that part but I did 2 full oil changes to clear the motor out of all the bad crap but I still have to fight with it to get it running and when it is running it runs like complete crap and has no power when I do press the gas it starts to die out? Any hp could help a lot, story along the motor is I swapped it in timing jumped I replaced all timing stuff and redid timing all new ignition, I took the head off and swapped it with one with less miles cause I wanted to check the head for bent valves anyways.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1. This belongs in OEM Tech but you're new and probably using the ******* app so we forgive you. Welcome to CF!

2. Assuming it's not run properly since doing all of this work, and from what I can decipher from that mess of words and commas above I suspect it hasn't, I wouldn't automatically assume it's being caused by running it without oil. While that's obviously not a good thing to do, the likelihood that 20 seconds at idle (I assume, again) would ruin anything is remote. There are tons of other vacuum lines and sensors and fuel lines that had to be unclipped and messed with while doing all the stuff you did that any one of them could just as easily be causing the issues you're experiencing.

Please explain what is happening in as much detail as possible, "runs like crap" isn't detailed enough for any of us to form an opinion on the cause. If you can, record the sound of your engine and upload it here, that would probably be helpful and not tax your writing prowess as much.

Last edited by F1Addict; 11-12-2015 at 09:37 PM.