Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Won't Start HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Won't Start HELP PLEASE

Hello , I have a 2000 Jeep XJ Limited that I use as a trail toy. I think RATS have chewed a wire because my Jeep will not start,and we found a nest under hood. It was running like a top before I left it at camp. Its not getting fuel I think. Fuel Pump works, Spark is good. only turns over when i spray starting fluid. Where do you think I should start looking?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by pbcfr53
Hello , I have a 2000 Jeep XJ Limited that I use as a trail toy. I think RATS have chewed a wire because my Jeep will not start,and we found a nest under hood. It was running like a top before I left it at camp. Its not getting fuel I think. Fuel Pump works, Spark is good. only turns over when i spray starting fluid. Where do you think I should start looking?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have you tried asking the rats? If that fails, Are you getting power at the fuel injectors? The fuel pimp works because you hear it hum when you turn the key or have you done a pressure test only?
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Thanks, Programbo.. Ill have to test if power is getting to the injectors. as for the fuel pump, i haven't done a pressure test.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by pbcfr53
Any other suggestions?
Aww I thought you had resolved this Since it starts and runs spraying starting fluid in it's obviously a fuel problem. Did you check if power is getting to the injectors? Did you notice any wires at all that seemed to have been chewed on? I'd start at the beginning of the fuel system and work my way forward. Once you know for a fact the pump is fine that only leaves the injectors not working. I would relieve the fuel pressure up at the injector rail then spray the starting fluid in and get it to run even just briefly. IF the fuel pump is working there will be pressure back in the rail again Once that's confirmed to be ok I'd start tracing the wires from the injectors back to their next source looking for a short or cut or whatever.

Crank Position Sensor (CPS) anyone? Don't think this would cause a no-start that is cured by starting fluid though
Old 07-29-2016, 09:22 AM

Thanks again ProgRAMBO!! I've been getting a lot of good info on these forums. However, I haven't been able to work on the jeep since its 700 miles north of me at camp. I do plan on heading up their next week to work on it.I purchased a CPS just in case and a inexpensive OBD reader. Others are telling me it might be the ECM but ill trouble shoot from $ - $$$. Ill post progress or lack of.