Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Vs. Lake...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Thumbs down Jeep Vs. Lake...

So, last weekend I managed to catch the lip of a lake... to make a long story short, the lake whooped my ***. My 95' Cherokee was submerged for about 11 hours before sufficient towing vehicles could get to the lake. I don't have a lot of hope for my baby but I was wondering what could be removed and sold or what could be the best course of action I should take at this point. I'm at a total loss right now.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

pictures? submerged up to where? Did it die in the water?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:41 AM

I don't have any pictures of it because any phone/camera was in the back seat. It was completely covered for about 11 hours... and I guess it died in the water, I didn't think to turn the engine off when I swam through the window (bad night). Its sitting in my driveway airing out. I checked the oil and trans. fluid yesterday because I was bored and I have more water than oil but no water in the transmission fluid.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

It's not a total loss! You just have a LOT of work to do. Look at all the vehicles that went through Katrina and are now driving around with owners that probably don't even know (Carfax is your friend). Open the hood, doors, hatch ect and get a lot of box fans to air it out till it's dry. Drain ALL of your fluids after you get it home and leave the plugs out for now. Let it sit for at least a week probably more until you can't find any water anywhere. Crank the engine over (with the spark plugs removed) to get any trapped water down into the pan to drain. After you are convinced that there is no water ANYWHERE refill all of your fluids and give it a shot. Electronis are fickle, it might fire right up, it might not. If it doesn't I'd say it's time to go to the JY and find a PCM and the ignition components. If your rig is bone stock it might be more trouble than it's worth, but if it's modified or you just love it too much to let go then get to it! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I def. will, I really appreciate the input. Imagine me giving you the 'Jeep bro wave' from my computer hah
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

drain the engine oil and unscrew the spark plugs. Stick wood stick in the cylinders and look if there is water. Crank the engine by hand with a wrench on the balancer to see if it turns. If it does, put in fresh oil, change the batt, dry the tps with a hairdryer and crank it to see if you have spark and fuel.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Yep agreed with ^^^ it can be revived.. a new life... but needs new blood.. and clean blood... :}
after everything has drained for awhile... get some brake clean from walmart.. the cheap stuff... spray the crap out of everything you can from the drain holes.. they come with a red straw.. stick it in drain plug hole and just start spraying and all over.. as when clear brake clean starts coming out and no more milky stuf its clean...you can even take a couple of gallons of gas/kerosen and pour in top of engine oil fill and let it run threw and do that a few times... pour some marvel mystery oil.. or just transmission fluid in all the spark plug holes after you get everything clean.. let that seap threw and out.. so when you go to crank it.. the pistons are oiled up real good.. Leaf blowers work great to for helping dry stuff out...carpet seats and all that.. take out lay in sun.. get a can of ELECTRICAL cleaner... spray the crap out of the fuess/relay boxes...
If you dont have a compressor for air.. or dont have a ELE leaf blower.. go get a 29 dollar ELE weedwacker leaf blower from walmart... it will make things go so much quicker...
O and we gota have some pics of the progress... so get new phone...
PS stay out of lakes ok ?
:}
Old 03-11-2010, 11:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

forgot this .. before you crank the engine pull distributer.. and prime oil pump.. do all this right.. and it will last long time with very min damage...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

heres what it looked like when it was coming out of the lake when my mom got there
Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Year: 1993

i am so sorry man. that sucks. i hope you can get it to run again....
Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Seasoned Member

My money is on it will fire right up after it's dried out and the fluids changed! I've seen vehicles under water for 5-10 minutes start right back up after pulling the plugs and getting the water out of the cylinders. You will be fine.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Oh my god. It can be done like they said just have patience. Good luck to ya man.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

Glad you are ok! Question for you...How did you get out? Was the window down or did you have to put it down? Do u have manual or auto windows?

Its a good thing you didn;t panic and go into shock like some people do or sit there and try to open the door against the water pressure until you drowned.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Jeeze you could have just used a touchless car wash you know...lol

On a serious note though I agree with the previous steps, and when (hopefully) you get it going again, dont forget to grease up the steering and drive line components.

Oh yeah and WELCOME TO CF!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

wow, my dad did that in his wrangler and a ship channel. never found it after the finally got home and back out with a tow truck though, current pulled it out to sea.

how in the hell did you get close enough to hook the bank and drop in? drinking or something

Quick Reply: Jeep Vs. Lake...