Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep no crank no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Jeep no crank no start problem

Okay so I have a 99 xj, and most days it fires right up. but some days the solenoid just wants to click and it doesnt turn over. I know my starter is good i tested it. *I also jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and it fired right up. sometimes when it clicks i turn the key back and forth a few times it will start uo. I put it in neutral still wont start. all my wires and connections are good. anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

First thinks first. The battery. Measure it for voltage. 12.5V or better? No? Charge the battery. Yes? Good, now load test it with a carbon pile tester. Tests bad? Buy new battery. Tests Good? Clean the battery posts and the terminals on the cables. Attach cables and try to start Jeep. Report back with your findings.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

This can be caused by a few things, but usually the basic idea is the same.

1. A marginal battery
Battery has enough voltage to trip the solenoid and close the circuit, but when the real power draw of the starter begins, the voltage dips and the solenoid can't hold and the circuit opens, with just a click as a clue.

2. A good battery, but bad solenoid
Solenoid is failing to keep the circuit closed.

3. Good battery, good solenoid, but bad starter
Starter is pulling too much amperage and causes such a dip in the system's voltage that the solenoid opens the circuit. Little more rare, and usually requires testing the high amperage during startup (using an amp-clamp or the like).

4. Good battery, solenoid, and starter, but bad connections
Due to corrosion and other factors, there could be voltage drop between the battery and solenoid/starter due to bad connections.

If you can jump the solenoid and start, I would go with the most likely reason, which is that the battery is not what it used to be (working, but marginal), and all connections between the battery and starter should be cleaned up and tightened. If you can start the vehicle using a jumper pack, or jump start from another running vehicle, it helps to indicate that you are on the right track.

You can also have the battery load tested at most auto parts chains, but if you can't start the vehicle or don't trust that it will start again after getting to the store, it can be a pain.

Good luck. Post back what you find.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:52 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Many times a battery that will start an engine at 32 degrees will fail at 5 degrees. I own one of these such batteries!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
This can be caused by a few things, but usually the basic idea is the same.

1. A marginal battery
Battery has enough voltage to trip the solenoid and close the circuit, but when the real power draw of the starter begins, the voltage dips and the solenoid can't hold and the circuit opens, with just a click as a clue.

2. A good battery, but bad solenoid
Solenoid is failing to keep the circuit closed.

3. Good battery, good solenoid, but bad starter
Starter is pulling too much amperage and causes such a dip in the system's voltage that the solenoid opens the circuit. Little more rare, and usually requires testing the high amperage during startup (using an amp-clamp or the like).

4. Good battery, solenoid, and starter, but bad connections
Due to corrosion and other factors, there could be voltage drop between the battery and solenoid/starter due to bad connections.

If you can jump the solenoid and start, I would go with the most likely reason, which is that the battery is not what it used to be (working, but marginal), and all connections between the battery and starter should be cleaned up and tightened. If you can start the vehicle using a jumper pack, or jump start from another running vehicle, it helps to indicate that you are on the right track.

You can also have the battery load tested at most auto parts chains, but if you can't start the vehicle or don't trust that it will start again after getting to the store, it can be a pain.

Good luck. Post back what you find.
the battery is tested and good.. jumps from another car dont help. i cleaned rhe battery posts and the connections are all good. gettinf power to every wire. the starter should be good. when the jeep wants to start it fires right up, when its warm fires up easy, when i jump the solenoid it starts easy.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Looks a lot like my issue... Have a 1990 4.0L Cherokee with trouble starting. Battery reads 12.56 on volt meter. Replaced ground to engine because it was badly frayed. Took starter to AZ for bench test. It failed so I replaced and reinstalled. In park, turn the key and hear one click. Engine doesn’t turn. Touched starter terminals with screw driver and same result — single click, no engine turn. Positive battery cable looks fine, but how to tell? With ignition on, volts on starter terminals read 12.48. Jump start does nothing. What else to check? Thanks