Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep locked up and stops.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep locked up and stops.

So I was driving and all of usudden my jeep locks up and I come to a squelling hault. I took apart the rear end and it's all good and I had put it in 4x4 and both front and rear axles lock up to a hault. Anyone have similar problems? Tranny, transfer case? Motor runs great it has 230k on it and i don't know the history of the maintenance I got it about 1 year ago and didn't start driving it till 2 months ago on and off and only had put 1k on it...
Old 01-09-2017, 04:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome to the forum.

It's really hard to understand what you're saying. Did you check the transfer case? Can you shift the tcase? Can you roll the vehicle in neutral? Can you shift the transmission? Do the front tires roll easily? So many things you can check...
Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 PM

Alright so I had it in 2wd the first time it happened and it let me go in revers like 5-6 feet and then locked up and then I put it in drive and went the same as I did in reverse and kept repeating it for like five minutes. I then did not drive it for acouple days because I have a f150. And then today I pull the wheels off the back check the brake shoes and e brake because my f150 rear end locked up because the ebrake inside the drum broke and wedged itself into a place that made my read end lock up on the truck so then I went to go pull it out and take it for a drive because I found that the brake shoe on the drivers side was bent a tad bit. So I start to drive and not even a couple feet it locks up and I put it in reverse and go 5-6 feet and then stop and then I put it back in drive but this time in 4x4 high and it locks the front and rear end up so therefore it should not be a axle problem. I didn't get to try neutralizing the t case because I had my dad looking under and he said when it stops the force has mad the rear end twist up and down which is and should be normal but we couldn't find anything else. My question is has anybody had this problem? I highly doubt it's the rear axle but I'm thinking more of the t case. And possibly tranny...
Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM

Engine: 4.0

It sounds like the rear end is locking because there could be a ring and pinion problem or the carrier bearings and retainers could be toast and the carrier is moving left and right in the housing. If you are only able to roll a few feet in either direction the pinion may be jamming into the ring gear and locking it up. Or the other way around where the ring gear broke off of the case and is free to move around. I would pull the rear drive shaft and try rolling it in 4 HI again and see if it's still locking up on you.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:32 PM

All right so I took off the differential housing. Cover and everything looks great so I put it in neutral and started rolling the wheel in the middle pin inside the spider gears falls out and hits the gears for the driveshaft which I thinks it what you are talking about. The bolt or pin on the pin(pinion) is missing that holds it into place. Where does the bolt go when the pin(pinion?) is in the correct place. Is there a slot that is on the slider gears that the bolt or pin goes into it? Heard some pictures of it when it fell down
Attached Thumbnails Jeep locked up and stops.-photo143.jpg   Jeep locked up and stops.-photo375.jpg   Jeep locked up and stops.-photo789.jpg  

Last edited by Project_Pos; 01-14-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM

the pin is held in by a bolt in the housing in the same end as the little hole in that pin it is broke or missing push it up roll it around and look in the pan for the retaining bolt
Old 01-14-2017, 06:13 PM

Where does the bolt go into the pinion like through the spider gears holder? Idk anything about differentials and what the names for the stuff is so my bad. But after this I should know everything
Old 01-14-2017, 06:31 PM

Disregard the last post so I found out my bolt for the pin sheared off and I can't seem to get the part out of the other side that the bolt jut slides into. Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 PM

It's sheared off like a quarter of an inch inside the hole too so I'm just stuck in my footsteps. I tried a magnet and that didn't work.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep locked up and stops.-photo6.jpg   Jeep locked up and stops.-photo725.jpg  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Try spraying cleaner on it remove all gear oil. Then try magnet again tapping carrier with hammer during this may help. Gonna be like the old game Operation.

Last edited by freegdr; 01-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Would be sweet if that hole went clean through and you could drive it out the backside.....
Old 01-15-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Try spraying cleaner on it remove all gear oil. Then try magnet again tapping carrier with hammer during this may help. Gonna be like the old game Operation.
I did exactly that and got it out! Thanks for the help I was about to go to a junk yard and pull an differential! it was making me mad haha not I gotta go to summit racing and get a new pinion and lock bolt because the pinion is really best from jamming into the ring gear and the bolt is self explanatory! Thanks for everyone's help. Hope nobody has this problem but if so this is a great thread to read!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Project_Pos
I did exactly that and got it out! Thanks for the help I was about to go to a junk yard and pull an differential! it was making me mad haha not I gotta go to summit racing and get a new pinion and lock bolt because the pinion is really best from jamming into the ring gear and the bolt is self explanatory! Thanks for everyone's help. Hope nobody has this problem but if so this is a great thread to read!
Grabbing a used axle be easier in long run. keep this one for parts.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for keeping us updated and including pics. That'll make this thread useful going into the future. Good luck on getting her back on the road.