Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 cherokee rear hatch with push button lock mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 cherokee rear hatch with push button lock mechanism

Hey guys, I've got a 95 cherokee sport and oddly enough it has the push button latch release button. Latch doesn't shut and lock, just slams back end and stays open. Tried to diagnosis it and I'm thinkingone of the plastic parts is broken off. Didn't find and piece in shell. So i look up the part inlinr and realize nothing latches. So i do a search on the push button and ind right part picture and part number.I call rock auto and few other places and give them the part number and explain it's a push button style not the lift up latch type. They look it up and tell me they got nothing in there system for it that matches my year. Saying 97 and up came with that style. So I'm scratching my head now. I'm the second owner and looks all oem to me.besides just buying the right part which is easy, my question is how the he'll is this possible?

Old 01-15-2017, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I've had plenty of trouble with mine in my 90. From the photo it doesn't look like it's stuck locked. If that WERE the case you can put a screwdriver in it, push the button and pull it to the released position. The latch pin is adjustable, and reversible, you might try messing with that. Can you work the latch with the hatch open? Press in as if it was shutting. (mine makes a "chime" sound latching, a spring in there I suppose). Then you would need to "open" it as above of course.

There is a sort of horseshoe spring clip holding the button-lock assembly. Not so tough to remove that then just stick your finger in the hole to unlatch it. (in case something there is fubar)

I'd go to a junk yard...If I didn't already have one here at home! About anything related to the hatch on my 84 has been "donated"...
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

It's the same on the '87. They have some parts at:
http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...category=20301

But you won't like the prices. Better to get a door at the junk yard with everything on it if possible.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Have you tried adjusting the striker?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:20 PM

The locking horse shoe part does not lock into place when pushed up like normal. I'm not 100%sure but there is a white plastic piece on the left that might be broken off and not allowing the catch to lock in. Cheapest I could find online was $150. Now correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the 97+ Cherokee be the push button style? That is what got me weirded out about it all. I can change it no problem just figured I'd asked to see if anyone else has seen that on a all factory 95 or older. Rockauto guy tried to say I'm mistaken and must not know what I'm taliking about. He said it's not possible.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 PM

When holding horse shoe part up manually with finger and hitting the button there is zero contact between horse shoe and lock release detent
Old 01-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I have a '95 and the white plastic piece that you have circled in the pic broke off my latch plate, but that did not keep the latch from closing and holding. You can rotate the "U" shaped latch into the closed position with the door open to see if it clicks and locks in place while in closed position. If it doesn't, a piece is either corroded, frozen in place and not moving into place to hold the rotating "U" latch in closed position, or broken off.

The plastic piece is a tensioner that holds pressure against the latch pin on the body so the door doesn't rattle while closed. Mine definitely did rattle while the piece was broken off. I got a new latch assembly from a junk yard for $10.

Last edited by Remus Redbone; 01-15-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Have one 90 since 02, (15 years). ( I did solve Rubics cube alone) Dusty old memory, some widjet got fubared in the kingdom....something got stuck on the wrong side of something. Compare yours to my photo. See the "leg" thingy under the plastic? Yours if flat, square, and mine is bent up? I bet I did that to keep the widget from fubaring. You might find if you remove it and mess with it for a bit, you will find bending that to press up more on the plastic will remedy your condition. Not sure there though!

Yea, on mine that might have let the latch come so far back a watchmacallit up on the top right get past somewhere where it couldn't function. Just bending that prevented some cog/link from clearing something and making it worthless. Somewhat confident on that on mine there. Might not be "easy", but is doable. I may have temporally removed a spring.
Attached Thumbnails 95 cherokee rear hatch with push button lock mechanism-100_6646.jpg  

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-16-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:11 AM

I'll try it again in the am. WeIl thing is the horse shoe doesn't latch and lock in place. I played with it for a while looking for what is keeping the push button from moving the lever down. The upper right side plastic must be the key locking part that moves side to side,the lever above the horseshoe does move up and down, thanks for all your guys help!!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:16 AM

Flinston, your is a 90 and has the push bottom also? All the researching told me 97+ had the push button, is that correct or do I have a unicorn lmao
Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Lsxguy54
Flinston, your is a 90 and has the push bottom also? All the researching told me 97+ had the push button, is that correct or do I have a unicorn lmao
84-96 had roughly the same body, so i'm inclined to say those were the years with the push button (i have a 96 and it is the case), the 97-01 have a latch you pull onto which also has its issues.

i've never had issues yet with mine, but this thread got me thinking i should grab a couple at the junkyard.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

I'd bet cane has it about right. Lots changed in 97. That said last night I looked at my 84. Same pin, button, latch setup, probably interchangeable, but no plastic in the 84 latch.

Bet if you can't get it to snap closed, then open it pushing the button, you'll find the same problem I did. Something worn up there in the works gets past something. Gotta remove it, work some lever some way to get it back where it lets another lever back where it goes. Then I bent that deal pushing the plastic to keep it from happening again.

Would have taken me that same 1-1/2 hrs to drive to my JY to buy another, but I saved 2 gals of gas and $10 or so by monkeying mine to work.
The following users liked this post:
Hobbitinn (03-19-2021)