Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep hacked by previous owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep hacked by previous owner

I bought a 98 Jeep Cherokee classic 4.0l command trac and found the the electric fan was jumped out the ac on a hacked switch, no reverse lights no cruse, engine light on and if it doesn't run long enough after starting you have to jump the starter to re start it. (ie stick a wrench on the wires attached to the starter and short them out) If it is ran long enough between starts it will start with a key, even if it has been being driven for a while you can turn it off and back on then drive very short it will not start with the key. (ie you must drive for so long before it will let you start it with a key again regardless of temp or anything else for that matter)

By reading a bit on here and other boards I suspect the NSS but all the hacked bypasses are a problem. Also while driving it will just turn off. then restart but only if you move the gas pedal from where it was when it cutout. If I hold my foot steady it will wind down and just stop.

It runs Great otherwise. and after it is driven for a while the cutouts tend to be less and less so that is tolerable.

All of this to me adds up to a crazy mystery. and oh yea
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Is the jeep black by any chance lol sounds just like on my buddy sold
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Nope its white. I did mess with the NSS and now it will start in neutral. but still no reverse lights and I still don't think its going into overdrive. I'm only getting 13 mpg and my engine runs at about 2500 at 50 mph
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

I have the same problem!! No reverse lights, There is an aftermarket ignition switch on mine that will crank the motor over, and it drives at about 2,500rpm at 50mph. =P

Let me know if you find out what the problem is haha
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Year: 1995

Some people should no be allowed to own motor vehicles.

Including the guy I bought one of mine from.

We are now going over it from bumper to bumper, ground to roof in search of " Goofball Engineering " mods/hacks/fixes to remove them.

You should see the way he installed the RADIO - we almost had to destroy the dash trim bezel because he attached the radio to the bezel!

I think from now on I will not buy an XJ from anyone under the age of 50!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

I feel your pain
I had to rewire quite a bit of the behind the dash.
It had also been so long since a service that the spark plugs where crumbling, the oil filter had the paint pealing off, the oil was like sludge.
If gone through most of the electrical and most of its working properly, just gota do the seats now.
On the upside I paid half market value for it
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Default gremlins!!!

seems like between jeep using crap wiring and peoples tendancy to be like a gremlin tearing at something important looking on the wing of a plane, there a quite a few jeep electrical issues... my e-flasher lights dont work, but instead will just cause the blinkers to not come on. the window switch only works from my door, the reak wiper rocker only wipes when you click it into the spray position, my airbag light is on and my horn doesnt work (this is the newer of the issues). the last owners elecrtical know-how i question anyways, they wired in all the wires for a stereo, but ran the battery lead taped to the rca's. any body with what i would consider basic stereo knowledge knows this leads to interference and feedback. so yea, blame the gremlins
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Well the cutting out was due to the TPS , I need to change the NSS or at least clean it but after taking the bolt out and the retainer nut it just wiggles back and fourth and I can't budge it to come off. The area is tight and I cant get anything behind it to pry it. any suggestions? It does start in P and N now but still no reverse lights and the bulbs are good. After changing the TPS the gas milage is definatly better, I was getting around 11 now its around 14 I have codes P0700 and P0705 both have to do with the TCM which I have yet to find. This chilton manual is about the worst I've seen.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Its behind the panel under the glovebox.
By any chance does it have control switches wired in for it?
Ive heard that causes the check engine light on the '97+
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Default Exploded view of everything.

I ran into this site that seems to have at least exploded view of almost every part of a jeep. just the pdf file for my model is 600 plus pages.

http://www.berrysprinter.com/e-fiche...97-01/98xj.PDF

You can change the years etc from the pdf file index.