Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep cranks but has no spark

Old 10-14-2015, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep cranks but has no spark

I have been fighting this problem off and on for about 3 months now. Sometimes my 99 xj will crank but has no spark (always cranks, sometimes no spark), and I seem to have good fuel pressure. I have already tried changing my crankshaft position sensor, spark plug wires, throttle position sensor, and tested my ignition coil (tested good.) At this point I am running out of ideas and desperately need my jeep back!

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited by jvanbree; 10-14-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jvanbree
I have been fighting this problem off and on for about 3 months now. Sometimes my 99 xj will crank but has no spark, and I seem to have good fuel pressure. I have already tried changing my crankshaft position sensor, spark plug wires, throttle position sensor, and tested my ignition coil (tested good.) At this point I am running out of ideas and desperately need my jeep back!

how about the disputer and cap? and if your jeep sometimes crank and i would check the wire harness that runs along the back of the engine bay, i see a lot that the wires vibrate raw and bond together. the only thing that i could think of would be the computer. hope this helps
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jvanbree
I have been fighting this problem off and on for about 3 months now. Sometimes my 99 xj will crank but has no spark (always cranks, sometimes no spark), and I seem to have good fuel pressure. I have already tried changing my crankshaft position sensor, spark plug wires, throttle position sensor, and tested my ignition coil (tested good.) At this point I am running out of ideas and desperately need my jeep back!

"seem to have good fuel pressure" Are you using a gauge or the force to determine that? Have you checked and know that it's not sparking or assume that it's not sparking because it doesn't start?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:25 PM

I havent put a gauge on the fuel pressure but it builds pressure again even if i let it out. I have tested the spark and there isnt one.