Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee Limited 2002 - Horn Blows Non Stop

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Ros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee Limited 2002 - Horn Blows Non Stop

the car was parked for a week when the horn started blowing and only stopped after the fuse was pulled out. Once the fuse was put back in - it continued to blow non-stop.
Any idea on the cause and how to repair it please?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Easiest to check first is the horn relay itself. It is normally open until a ground is supplied by pushing the horn pad on the steering wheel. You will need to use a multi-meter for this.

If the relay is good then check the wire coming into the relay from the horn pad. If this wire is grounded then you either have a short to ground somewhere along the wire to the horn pad or the horn pad itself is bad.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 AM
Ros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there tiger02; thank you very much!! It was the horn pad which had expanded to trigger off the horn.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Glad you got it figured out. I would day that is a pretty rare thing to happen from what I have seen.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have two 2001 XJ's and have experienced the same thing with both of them. I live in South Florida and it it is not uncommon for the interior of the car to climb past 125 degrees. Always happens when the car has been parked for several hours, and more likely to go off in the middle of the afternoon or in the middle of the night. I just go out and puch the streering wheel in the middle and it immediately stops. Most likely heat/expansion/contraction related. Next step is to get an airbag assembly that may not have been exposed to the same harsh environment.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Airbags have holes in them so they deflate quickly after rapid inflation in an accident. Humidity can cake the powder inside and plug the holes so the air can't vent. Time for a fresh airbag.