Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee Gear Surround Issue - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee Gear Surround Issue - HELP!

Hi,

I have been browsing this forum for a while and appreciate the help in matters concerning small issues with my 1997 Jeep Cherokee (automatic). In addition to a recent tune up, I decided to purchase some blue LED's for the dash and gear panels. Despite being a royal nuisance to install (the wood trim on the dash didn't come off too easily), the bulb in each of the gear shifters (automatic and 4x4) was easily installed.

I did notice today that the blue LED bulb wasn't working for the main automatic gear shifter, so I got out my screw driver to take off the surround (no screws just a clip in) and must have used a little too much force the wrong way and broke the white bit underneath. It looks like it was already broken but now it's pretty well broken.

After looking around, I can't seem to find a replacement part anywhere. There are options in the U.S. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-Jeep-C...#ht_500wt_1287), but here in Australia the letters are on the right as it's right hand drive.

Also, does anyone have any recommendation on how to get the surround off the stick (remove the **** or remove the stick, and if so how to best do it?). Maybe I can have a go at piecing together the original with superglue.

Thanks in advance,
Antony.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Pull the **** off. Pull real hard. And don't pull towards your face. Yea you don't need a black eye.
See if you can glue it. The dealer will be the only place to find a new one and prob be $200+

Look at the for sale posts for people parting out there rigs.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 AM

Thanks. I managed to pull the **** off fairly easily (I was reluctant as I didn't want it to be loose afterwards if it wasn't meant to).

It looks like I should be able to glue the white surround together, although each of the four corners where it clipped onto the top black panel are too badly damaged. Not sure if it will still serve. Looking at the assembly, there is a black strip I can't find a home for as it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I can't find the part anywhere yet, so think either a wreckers or Jeep dealer is the way to go if this doesn't work.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

look here...http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064
Old 06-30-2012, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Thanks, although I can't seem to find the part there for a Cherokee.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:19 AM

I manged to get it back together (all those years playing with lego finally paid off); and will see how it fits after I glue it. Thanks for your help.