Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep cherokee 8.25 rear axle clunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep cherokee 8.25 rear axle clunk

Hey everybody bringing up another clunk from the jeep. Before I start EVERY bushing possible on this jeep and every mount is new. It is lifted but I just upgraded to polyurethane bushings. So basically whenever manuevering slowly I get clunks from the rear end. It is most definitely coming from the rear. There is no whining and the wear pattern on the teeth is perfect. Is this the side to side slop of the C clips? And if so why so much clunking? If the cross pin wears or something else can this allow more movement/ noise? Also it comes and goes. When my brakes self adjust pretty tight, it seemingly dissappears for a while until I go wheeling and everything loosens again and there comes the clunk.

My other question (for those who had the clunk or not) If I install my no slip locker do you think this might rid some noise or is this going to increase the noise I hear? I think this topic should be adressed because I am sure others have these chrysler issues. I havent done anything cuz I dont think anythings gonna fly apart....It just seems like genuine chrysler ingenuity....
Old 02-17-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

check the back lash on the pinion. clunk is usally a u joint. and when does it clunk? there is some play in and out with c clips but they don't tend to make noise. and limited slip wont cure. also look for the obvious loose bolts on the rear spring expecially the front bolt. track bar bolts. missing rubber on shock mount(yes i've seen this).