Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep A/C Evaporator Core Part ID

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep A/C Evaporator Core Part ID

I need help identifying this part on my 1992 Jeep XJ Evaporator Core. I have searched extensively and cannot identify it, even in the 1992 service manual. It is a small black box with white, blue and black wires going into it. It has a small copper tube that goes through the heater box, into the A/C evaporator core. I am trying to figure out a couple of things.

1. What is it?
2. How do I remove it so I can remove the evaporator core?
3. Is it needed because I do not see a hole for it in my replacement evaporator core (Crown Automotive).

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep A/C Evaporator Core Part ID-img_3095.jpg   Jeep A/C Evaporator Core Part ID-img_3096.jpg   Jeep A/C Evaporator Core Part ID-img_3097.jpg  
Old 10-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I believe that is the AC core temp probe? not sure if that's it real name.
it keeps tabs on the core temp.
you can pull it out and stick it in the new one. if no hole on the new one,, make a small one for the probe
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Well I pulled it out. The copper tube stayed with the evap coil, and 2 connected wires came out. They seemed intact. The aftermarket evap core did not fit perfectly and took some creativity to get it in. I stuck the wires from the thermocoupler and hot glued it in between the blades of the aftermark coil. Will see if it works.