Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to eliminate oil filter adapter on Renix 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to eliminate oil filter adapter on Renix 4.0?

My friend has a '97 with no adapter, but don't know if that's stock or modded. I'd like to do the same with my Renix if possible. Anyone know what fitting and filter it would take to do this I assume there should be space for the filter on mine since it fits on his…(?)
Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Renix throttle plate/butterfly upside down; WTF?!?

Posting screw-up

Last edited by '90Cherokee; 10-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by '90Cherokee
My friend has a '97 with no adapter, but don't know if that's stock or modded. I'd like to do the same with my Renix if possible. Anyone know what fitting and filter it would take to do this I assume there should be space for the filter on mine since it fits on his…(?)
So you know, My 97 does have the adapter from the factory. But this is a very good question. It looked like there was plenty of room for the standard short filter on mine too.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:20 PM

Good to know. So hopefully someone knows the secrete. If not I'll have to give him an oil change so I can try to figure out what fitting was used. He's probably due anyway, but I don't know if I'll be able to figure the fitting out if it doesn't have a part number on it.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Good to know. So hopefully someone knows the secrete. If not I'll have to give him an oil change so I can try to figure out what fitting was used. He's probably due anyway, but I don't know if I'll be able to figure the fitting out if it doesn't have a part number on it.
It might not be anything but a threaded bushing with the correct threads and locktite. I haven't had mine off yet but it looks like the o ring seal face might be the same as a filter.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

I wouldn't eliminate the adapter.. Ive heard bad stories from fellow Jeepers about leaks, smashed filters while wheeling,,so on and so on. I never seen it myself nor do I want to.
To much of a risk for me when out wheeling miles from no where.
Go pm( 89limited_hero ) he will tell you what happen to him about the adapter eliminating..

Better yet read this.

Originally Posted by 89limited_hero
I know this is old but I have this conversion and haven't had luck with it. I did it to my 89 and also the 95 ho that I swapped it was already done (got from a buddy on here). The problem I have is before I put just new motor mounts in when I bought my jeep I would dent and crack the oil filter and wouldn't know it till I got somewhere and see it leaking oil everywhere. I could do that just taking off to hard from a stop light. I changed my trans mount and it helps but I still dented the oil filter over the weekend wheeling. It didn't crack it. But I start to keep a spare filter just in case it happens. Im been think about a remote oil filter just so I can be done with the dented oil filters and get a bigger filter. That and I could have bought one already in the with the filters I have damaged. Just a heads up to anyone who might do this mod make sure your motor mounts and trans mount are good/new before hand or replace them when doing this mod or you might find out the hard way that one of your mounts are no good.

Last edited by Dumajones; 10-24-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dumajones
I wouldn't eliminate the adapter.. Ive heard bad stories from fellow Jeepers about leaks, smashed filters while wheeling,,so on and so on. I never seen it myself nor do I want to.
To much of a risk for me when out wheeling miles from no where.
Go pm( 89limited_hero ) he will tell you what happen to him about the adapter eliminating..
Thank you Duma and I tend to agree. I run a longer Ford filter and it might not work with these longer filters. And I got to thinking about the motor mount travel... But it is a very good question considering the AMC's had it hanging straight out.

And on second thought, if you ever want to add a sandwiched oil cooler adapter it ain't going to fit.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 10-24-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Thank you Duma and I tend to agree. I run a longer Ford filter and it might not work with these longer filters. And I got to thinking about the motor mount travel... But it is a very good question considering the AMC's had it hanging straight out.
Yep,, I have oversized filter also. I just don't see any real benefit from doing this mod.

Most people do the mod so they don't have to change the adapter O rings or some crap..
Old 10-24-2017, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Yep,, I have oversized filter also. I just don't see any real benefit from doing this mod.

Most people do the mod so they don't have to change the adapter O rings or some crap..
Here's a curiosity related to this question I wonder about though. Is the gasket from an oil filter the same as the adapter o ring? That would be cool... lol
Old 10-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Here's a curiosity related to this question I wonder about though. Is the gasket from an oil filter the same as the adapter o ring? That would be cool... lol
I think the oil filter ring is a little too thick/ flat. But they seem close in diameter size. Maybe in a pinch you can make a filter one work.. that would be a cool little trick for a trail fix
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM

My main reason for wanting to do it is so the filter won't drain when parked. My '90 drains and I've tried several filters. My 'new' '87 also drains and the motor sounds like hell for the first couple seconds, I cringe every time. I haven't changed the filter on the '87 yet, but my experience with the '90 says it'll drain no matter what filter. The '90 don't make a racket on startup so maybe the motor is more worn on the '87 or it's draining more than the '90. I guess a new quality filter will tell me if I really need to change the set-up.

My friend with the '97 and no adapter hasn't had filter issues and it's been wheeled several times. I haven't inspected it for contact/dents, but no leaks. Maybe it's because he's running the top of the line oil filter/suppressor. I think it's a standard orange Fram on it.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

My main reason for wanting to do it is so the filter won't drain when parked. My '90 drains and I've tried several filters. My 'new' '87 also drains and the motor sounds like hell for the first couple seconds, I cringe every time. I haven't changed the filter on the '87 yet, but my experience with the '90 says it'll drain no matter what filter. The '90 don't make a racket on startup so maybe the motor is more worn on the '87 or it's draining more than the '90. I guess a new quality filter will tell me if I really need to change the set-up.

My friend with the '97 and no adapter hasn't had filter issues and it's been wheeled several times. I haven't inspected it for contact/dents, but no leaks. Maybe it's because he's running the top of the line oil filter/suppressor. I think it's a standard orange Fram on it.
Stick a Wix or Motorcraft oil filter on it.. They have the good silicone anti drain back valve in them..
Not like cheap Fram or other cheap ones that have hard rubber anti drain back vales that leak bad.
cheap rubber vales get hard from heat, time and cold allowing for dry starts.

A silicone valve stays nice and soft allowing great sealing action.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM
CF Veteran

Oh man... You just said the "F" word... Get ready, put your ballistic vest on... lol

But are you talking about the filter draining out back into the engine and then taking longer to refill and get pressure? If so, there are some very good filter suggestions here about filters that help with this. Give me some time tomorrow and I will try to chase down the stuff here about that issue.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Stick a Wix or Motorcraft oil filter on it.. They have the good silicone anti drain back valve in them..
Not like cheap Fram or other cheap ones that have hard rubber anti drain back vales that leak bad.
cheap rubber vales get hard from heat, time and cold allowing for dry starts.

A silicone valve stays nice and soft allowing great sealing action.
Thank you! man that was fast dude...
Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Just a little vid I made on why I dislike Fram filters.

I talk about the anti drain back vales in it and show hard one from a good silicone one.