Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I've Officially Been Jeep'd - Multi-Part w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I've Officially Been Jeep'd - New Jeep + Pics - A.C. Bearing Question

OK, so I've been looking for a while now for the "right" XJ, and after looking at quite a few of them in my area, I decided on a really nice '97 Moss Green XJ that it's in great shape, looks and runs good... I really like it, see the pics below!

So here's the part where I've officially been Jeep'd - believing then (and still) that I made the right choice, before I got the dang thing registered I've encountered my first "issue"... I think the clutch bearing on the AC compressor is going out.

Yep, a week after buying the Jeep I start it up one cold morning, and without the AC running (for defrost) I hear a nasty grind(ish) noise coming from the under the hood. I get out and check, put a long handled screw driver down on the compressor and it sounds like that's where it is coming from.

Couple of questions - 1) the noise is intermittent, it doesn't matter if the AC is on or not, so does that mean it is the clutch bearing? 2) If it is the clutch bearing, should I replace it or replace the compressor as well? 3) Where can I find a good source of cheap Jeep parts? 4) Does anybody know of a good mechanic in the East Bay Area (CA) that they can refer me to and that they trust? 5) Given the AC needs to be dumped and recharged, I am hesitant to do it myself, however is this a project that I can do on my own, perhaps renting the tools/device required for the refrigerant reclaim, vacuum, and charge?

I called the local dealership and they want about $500 bucks for a reman compressor that includes the bearing and another $400 bucks for labor. Is that a good or bad deal?

Here's a few pics -

BTW moderators, I was thinking it could be fun to start a "You've Officially Been Jeep'd (Punk'd)" thread, where us users could relate their experiences of the first of many breakdowns/issues with their Jeeps.

It's a funny contradiction, I've read lots of posts here from folks who say there is always something going wrong with their Jeep, always something to fix, yet on the other hand I read lots of posts where folks are saying their Jeeps are lasting into the mid 200k miles and still running strong. Maybe it's just that we are always "looking" for something to fix?

Last edited by xj_jack; 02-12-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: match the title to the post contents
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Sweet Jeep!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

congrats and welcome to CF!

you mentioned something about dealership and good deal. um no.

Find a local garage that does AC system work and get a quote from them. Shop it around a little. I think you can get it fixed for half that.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM

The a/c compressore are on ebay brand new for like 160 bucks then condensor and evaporator. All in probably 250. I think you can do everything, but the freon fill.

I thought mine was bad but is normal to go on and off in cold weather.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AIT&viewitem=
Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Also have the same year and color jeep.. Like those wheels and tires. Is your jeep lifted? if not what size tires are on there?
Old 02-12-2009, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

i had the same noise but mine was the coming from the pulley below the ac unit the one that attaches to the ac bracket if the belt is over tightened it can destroy the bearing. take a look at that first before replacing the ac compressor.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the comments

No lift, 30" tires...
Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks A1racer - hmmm, I only noticed the one pulley on the AC compressor itself, and didn't see a pulley that "attaches to the AC bracket" as stated in your post.

So what is this pulley a part of, the one below the AC Bracket as referred to in your post? The PO replaced the serpentine belt...
Old 02-15-2009, 05:35 PM

Default Fixed!

Thanks all for your suggestions. It turned out to be the AC compressor clutch bearing as I had thought. I picked up a new compressor and had it installed and it's working like a champ!