Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

its hot in here..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default its hot in here..

2000 Cherokee. Heat is unbearable its nice since its winter but I can't leave it on. Its like the **** form red to blue hot or cold isn't working. Any ideas I did try to search not much found.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

It sounds like you Blend Door Actuator isn't working.

After I finish drinking these beers I'll fire up my Photobucket and post a pic of the Blend Door Actuator circuit.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Here's a schematic of your Bend Door Actuator circuit. It also shows the actuator, as view under the HVAC Unit.

Using a strong (bright) flashlight, position yourself in the passenger footwell so you can see up under the HVAC Unit towards the floor air outlet, at the carpet level. Start the engine and using the flashlight look at the Blend Door Actuator, move the temp selector on the AC Heat control panel from Red to Blue and back. You should be able to see the actuator move from stop to stop. It moves slowly. The motor intermediate drive shaft piece is what you will be looking at. If you can feel/hear the actuator motor run but the intermediate drive shaft isn't moving the drive is defective, if the motor isn't running, fuse 25 in the Junction Block (JB) may be blown or the motor is bad. First thing is to check fuse F25 in the JB. However, know that if F25 is blown, your blower motor won't be working either.

Check it out.

Name:  jpgBlendDoorDiagram21_24_13.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 03-30-2013, 08:55 PM

Thumbs up

Thank you.! Will be having a few myself. Probably will mess around with it this weekend real quick I found this wire when I took a quick look today couldn't see a home
Name:  IMAG1042.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  46.9 KB
Name:  IMAG1043.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  43.0 KB

Ps not fuse blower motor is working great!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like the plug for the blend door motor to me. That would explain your problem!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
Looks like the plug for the blend door motor to me. That would explain your problem!
Indeed.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

How long have you owned this Jeep, and how long have you had this problem?

Connectors just don't magically detach themselves. When you plug it back in and it blows fuse 25 you'll know why it was detached.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 AM

call me a noob but. Lol reason its unplugged is because its not there.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
How long have you owned this Jeep, and how long have you had this problem?

Connectors just don't magically detach themselves. When you plug it back in and it blows fuse 25 you'll know why it was detached.
Owned it for about 2months still working on all the tweeks. Guy gave it to me needed a motor and couple things.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cjfrigo
call me a noob but. Lol reason its unplugged is because its not there.
The PO is an **** orifice for not telling you he pulled the actuator.

Ask him why he pulled the actuator.

The Blend-Air Door is notorious for its top pivot bushing to go bad and lock up the door. I saw a website once that had a fix for replacing the bushing, but I think it required the HVAC Unit to be removed.

You might try to move the door from the bottom shaft and see if it moves freely. If the door is locked up or there is a lot of resistance to movement, the door bushing may be shot.

If it does move freely, and the PO doesn't have the actuator assembly any more, try to get one from the junk yard. 1999-2001 XJ only. '98 and before XJ actuators were cable operated.

Before bolting a replacement actuator assembly in place, attach the electrical connector to it and run the temp control through from hot to cold and see if the actuator responds.

Before installing a replacement actuator, the door would have to be positioned to either full hot or full cold and the actuator run to a corresponding position. I'd have to check my XJ and see which direction the door turns for hot or cold. If you get to the point of replacing the actuator let me know and I'll check my XJ for door positioning (it's too cold out to dick with it now).

BTW, you don't have to have the engine running to check the operation of the actuator (like I previously stated) just turn the ignitionkey to RUN.

Here's the R&R procedures:

Name:  jpgBLENDAIRDOORACTRandR.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  473.0 KB
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM

Alright ill see if I can get ahold of him I took a fairly large flat head stuck it in the hole for the shaft it dose turn but not a hole lot very little is that good or bad
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Alright ill see if I can get ahold of him I took a fairly large flat head stuck it in the hole for the shaft it dose turn but not a hole lot very little is that good or bad
Did the shaft seem to turn freely? Hope so.

It only turns 90 degrees full travel. Viewing the bottom of the actuator (as seen in the pic in the schematic), Full Clockwise is COLD (Blue), Full Counter Clockwise is HOT (Red).

When/if you are going to install a replacement actuator assembly, plug it in to the connector first before attaching it to the Blend-Air Door shaft. Operate the actuator full travel hot then cold, Stopping at Cold (blue), turn the Blend-Air Door shaft fully Clockwise, then install the actuator asembly. Ops check it for full travel Hot and Cold. You should see the Intermediate Drive Shaft turn in the in the appropriate directions.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

It's turns about a quarter turn which would be 90 degrees. And it did turn pretty easily when I I got the jeep running I noticed I only have 1 fan setting so I got a resistor then i noticed that the fan wasn't pushing air and it made my dash shake pulled motor and found a rat nest so I believe he was trying to fix the fan and was tearing everything apart and had the actuatormotor out
Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM
CF Veteran

It's turns about a quarter turn which would be 90 degrees. And it did turn pretty easily when I I got the jeep running I noticed I only have 1 fan setting so I got a resistor then i noticed that the fan wasn't pushing air and it made my dash shake pulled motor and found a rat nest so I believe he was trying to fix the fan and was tearing everything apart and had the actuatormotor out
What can I say....
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
What can I say....
Lol don't have to say anything you gave me great advice hoping to hit the junk yard this weeken. Thank you again for your help!!! I'll let you know how everything goes when I get the blend door actuator