Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

issues identifying lines b/t radiator and trans.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default issues identifying lines b/t radiator and trans.

Hi Everyone,

When replacing my radiator I managed to bend the metal hard line that attaches at the top and runs down to a rubber line which goes to the transmission. Oops.

I tried to remove this line from the vehicle but there was a pesky yellow connector at the rubber hose connection end of it which broke apart instead of releasing the part for me. Double Oops.

I need to know:

1) what is the correct part name for this upper section of this line? I need only the part that goes from the radiator to the rubber hose down below. Ebay has something called "Transmission return line" but I believe this is the lower line and not the one I need. I can't seem to find anything along the lines of "upper transmission return line", or more specifically what I DO FIND doesn't look like it will fit my jeep.

2) The pesky yellow connector I broke will need to be replaced. Does anyone know a part name for that connector alone so that I may try to order just that piece instead of the whole lower line? The lower radiator connection uses this same type of connector too, so this is what led me to believe I can maybe find just the yellow connector and insert it into the existing line. The connector simply holds on the bead of the metal line. Its a really simple design but I cant find one locally in my autozone.

3) IF I end up replacing the whole lower return line I realize this will have to attach to the transmission. What, if any, special tools do I need to replace this line? I haven't actually gotten under there yet but the ebay pictures make it look like it fits into another one of those pesky connectors. That connector doesn't need a special tool does it??

4) How do I know if I have the "Aux bypass" equipped on my cherokee? Some of the ebay links below reference they wont fit a vehicle equipped with one, so I want to make sure I order the right part.

here's a couple of the ebay links I have been using as a reference:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Transmission-Line-Upper-Inlet-96_W0QQitemZ270514416586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3efbea6bca

^ this is the upper part, but it doesn't look like it fits my 4.0L at ALL.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dorman-TRANSMISSION-OIL-LINE-jeep-CHEROKEE-87-96-95-94_W0QQitemZ130357532831QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59ea189f

^ and i'm pretty sure this is the lower line which I would prefer to avoid buying if the individual connectors can be purchased instead.

Thanks to anyone who can tell me yay/nay on any of this stuff. It's been since October that this vehicle has been down from a wreck so I would love to get it back out on the road as soon as I can.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

yea those are lines for your tranmission cooler.. I always break the bottom one off because a new one comes attached to the radiator.. It should be simple.. there is a special tool you can use, i never needed it... good luck...
Old 02-01-2010, 02:49 PM

I replaced the radiator on my 2000 recently also, but the replacement didnt come with any connectors. I was able to get the old one on there but it has a slow leak. I am thinking of just cutting the lower portion off and replacing with 5/8" tubing and hose clamps.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by linuxrick
I replaced the radiator on my 2000 recently also, but the replacement didnt come with any connectors. I was able to get the old one on there but it has a slow leak. I am thinking of just cutting the lower portion off and replacing with 5/8" tubing and hose clamps.
This is what I did with my 96 a year and a half ago. No problems yet.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM

Year: 1996

bump.

hoping to order the upper section of the line today if I can find the correct one. The ebay link above doesn't look at all like the one that came out of the engine bay.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

My self I think it would be better to just get a aftermarket cooler and bypass the radiator one...
Its less heat in the radiator.. so more cooling for the engine..
Its better for the transmission.. will run cooler and last longer..
and its hassle free
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Hommersimpson
My self I think it would be better to just get a aftermarket cooler and bypass the radiator one...
Its less heat in the radiator.. so more cooling for the engine..
Its better for the transmission.. will run cooler and last longer..
and its hassle free
I THINK you still have to go thru the cooler in the radiatior for a aftemarket cooler.. i could be wrong but a 91 limited i worked on and a 95 both had aftermarket trans coolers and didnt completly bypass the cooler in the radiator.. but yes that would save you some time and save your transmissin a LOT of wear