Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Intermittent starting problem

Thought i'd ask you all, since i'm having a hard time figuring this out. 9 times out of ten, my Cherokee starts up just fine. 3 times since i've bought it, however, it did nothing when I tried to start it. It's generally after i've let it idle for some time, or drove a short distance. For instance, today was Walmart.. drove up there to get some groceries, and was back out of the store in ten minutes. When I turn the key, it chimes as usual, the number son the clcok light up, and the radio starts, but when I turn the key, it doesn't even attempt to turn over. No cranking, no click. All three times this has happened, I kept trying and eventually it'd crank up and start, but today it took a few minutes. I ended up turning the key to crank it and just leaving it there even though it wasn't doing anything, and after about ten seconds it started to crank.

If it helps... when I turn the key to crank it, the battery gauge dips down into the red and the numbers on the clock vanish until I stop trying to start it. Any suggestions..? Possibly just a battery going bad? I have no idea how old the battery is. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

The lights dimming and the meter moveing is normal. Its sendind the power to the starter.What it sounds like is a bad selinoid or a flat spot on the comentator in the starter.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I have a similar problem but If I just move my gear shifter around while it is still in park mine will start. Some times I have to move it to Neu.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 93'
Engine: 4.0l

when it does that put it in nuetral if it starts then your nuetral safty switch is messing up
Old 08-31-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 89whiteXJ
I have a similar problem but If I just move my gear shifter around while it is still in park mine will start. Some times I have to move it to Neu.
Yeah, I tried messing with my shifter and putting it into N to rule out the NSS, but no dice.

Is the starter hard to get to, or pretty easy? Also.. is there any way to check to see if that is what the problem is?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by ShadowAngel
Yeah, I tried messing with my shifter and putting it into N to rule out the NSS, but no dice.

Is the starter hard to get to, or pretty easy? Also.. is there any way to check to see if that is what the problem is?
Not sure about checking it but Yes it is easy to get to. Pass. side and just two bolts.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:09 PM

I suppose i'll start cheap and replace the starter relay. If that doesn't fix it, i'll have to try the next cheapest thing, and so on.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I suppose i'll start cheap and replace the starter relay. If that doesn't fix it, i'll have to try the next cheapest thing, and so on.
when its having the start problem jump the terminals with the green line pointing to them
if it starts is the relay if not its the starter

Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
when its having the start problem jump the terminals with the green line pointing to them
if it starts is the relay if not its the starter

I see a blue line and an orange line. This will help me narrow i down, though.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I see a blue line and an orange line. This will help me narrow i down, though.
sorry the orange lines guess i shuld have looked at the pic and not gone from memory
Old 08-31-2009, 08:34 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.ol renix

I had the same problem it turned out to be the wire that runs from the small post on the started to the starter relay. The wire is usualy green in color. Try to trace the wire back to the relay and disconnect it at the starter and the relay. Jump it with fresh wire and some gator clips. Try it a few times I noticed right away that this was the prob.

Or it can be a number of other probs.

Possible sticking starter which can be fixed by cleaning and re greasing the contact and bushes.

Or you could take it to Autozone and get it tested. While your there get your alt and batt checked.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 6- 4 liter

we were havin issues like that in the snow here. Of course I dont remember the technical name for it but does yours have a porclein connect by the inside of the fenders with 2 wires that was my issue. when pops gets home i will ask but look for that little porcelin peice
Old 09-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Thought i'd ask you all, since i'm having a hard time figuring this out. 9 times out of ten, my Cherokee starts up just fine. 3 times since i've bought it, however, it did nothing when I tried to start it. It's generally after i've let it idle for some time, or drove a short distance. For instance, today was Walmart.. drove up there to get some groceries, and was back out of the store in ten minutes. When I turn the key, it chimes as usual, the number son the clcok light up, and the radio starts, but when I turn the key, it doesn't even attempt to turn over. No cranking, no click. All three times this has happened, I kept trying and eventually it'd crank up and start, but today it took a few minutes. I ended up turning the key to crank it and just leaving it there even though it wasn't doing anything, and after about ten seconds it started to crank.

If it helps... when I turn the key to crank it, the battery gauge dips down into the red and the numbers on the clock vanish until I stop trying to start it. Any suggestions..? Possibly just a battery going bad? I have no idea how old the battery is. Thanks.
Sounds like it could be a Starter Problem. I had the same issue with my Jeep, where it would do nothing when i tryed to start it, just out of the blue, then after a few more attempts it would fire up again.

I just replaced the whole starter. I didnt mess around with the Circuts on the starter, or the Cylinoids..

It fixed the problem. My jeep also starts faster then it used to (1-2 seconds now, and like 6-8 seconds then).
Old 11-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Sorry for the bump of a 2 month old topic, here! Had it happen again a few days ago (don't drive it often at the moment, so it doesn't have an opportunity to happen frequently.) Drove around for a bit, stopped to run into a store, and wouldn't start when I got back out. I replaced the starter relay, and it still wouldn't work. Absolutely nothing when turning the key. Got down and jumped the terminals on the starter, and it fired right up. Got home, parked, killed the engine, and tried it again and it started fine. Seems like something might be moving while i'm driving and causing the issue, since it always seems to happen after i've driven somewhere. Bad connection, maybe? Ignition switch?

Ideas? I'm wanting to use this vehicle for camping trips, but if I randomly can't start it, that makes me pretty uneasy about driving it into the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by ShadowAngel; 11-09-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 PM

No ideas?

Quick Reply: Intermittent starting problem