Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent quiet/weak starts after intake swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Intermittent quiet/weak starts after intake swap

I installed a set of the 703 injectors into my old intake and it worked well. A few hiccups when starting but most of the time it would fire up instantly. I replaced the intake and exhaust manifold about a week after, and it fired up instantly after doing all that work.

It is a newer model intake, so I had to reroute two hard vac. lines but not much else changed. When I start the jeep cold or warm I sometimes have it start really quiet. kind of bogs down like a bad battery, but is oddly quiet and smooth and when it starts at low rpm and goes higher. Could also describe it as slowly winding up instead of firing at high idle and working down. What could this be?

Not really sure how else to describe it besides my dad suggesting it sounded a bit like heatsoak on the #1 injector.

Can't find any vacuum leaks, battery is fine, hard to say about the idle because the exhaust manifold crack was so bad i hear all sorts of new sounds with it gone lol.

Only other negative thing I have noticed is it downshifts a bit soon if i drop off the throttle fast.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Would it be a good guess to think towards a vacuum issue? I will also check my fuel line to make sure it isn't pinched a little.

More ideas would be helpful, or if anyone else did the intake swap and had similar issues to share with me.