Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermittent no buss no front wipers/washer SOLVED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Intermittent no buss no front wipers/washer SOLVED!!!

Hi all,
Was doing some work under my dash on my 99 XJ 4.0 recently, next morning, take my son to school...no wipers, no washer, but the back one works...just like a couple of times in the past.
So, since I had the lower drivers side dash apart...I started wiggling wires, with the wipers turned on, to see if I could trigger the motor...they triggered! But, from where??
Wiggling got more specific to that gray box...then I started moving around a bit...no buss, all the gauges drop out..well that's happened a few times intermittently too in the past!!!
So I'm looking for a loose wire, bad ground, I'm noticing the harder I press the box inward towards the radio...everything worked...now I'm like WHAT THE HELL IS IT!?!?!
Now I'm looking at the plug going in to the box, and moving the wires around, I notice this 10mm bolt, I turn it, it's loose. I grab a 10 mm socket and start tightening...A LOT!
Would you know, not only does everything work....everything works BETTER, meaning the wipers are faster then ever...
I've searched and read threads and could never come up with an answer, but knew it was a pretty common issue, troubleshooting, testing resistance, replacing solenoids, fuses and relays to no avail...
This little bugger right there...hiding behind the wire harness!!!

Intermittent no buss no front wipers/washer SOLVED!!!-image.png
I hope this helps a lot of frustrated XJ owners!!!
Good luck!

Follow me on Instagram not_your_everyday_xj

Last edited by OverBudget; 02-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David Combs (12-30-2019)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:07 PM

Wondering if this has helped anyone yet?? I also have noticed my windows raise and lower faster also since doing this...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Where under the dash is it located? I have been having issues with my gauges sometimes not working and power door locks.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Where under the dash is it located? I have been having issues with my gauges sometimes not working and power door locks.

It's on the drivers side, under the dash, to the right of the steering column...the larger of the gray electrical boxes...the 10mm bolt is behind the center of the wiring harness, right where it plugs in to the box....
Just an FYI about the door locks, usually it's a bad relay in the passenger side switch cluster, I had that same issue, replaced mine with one I purchased from eBay for about $35, works good for the last year...but even better now.