Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Intermitent "NO Start", batt fine...starter...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Intermitent "NO Start", batt fine...starter...

This is a weird one...hoping someone can help me out. XJ in question is a 98 4.0 with a 5 speed stick...

had a problem once this summer and never thought of it again until the last few days/weeks I've been driving the Jeep more/getting ready for winter.

On occasion, I have hoped into the Jeep, went to turn the key over and have NOTHING. In the ignition on/contact position...not even the lights for the dash would come on, etc. Turn to start...faint "click" of the starter, like a dead batt...only, its a single click and no turn. Have removed the key, tried again...instant start...

Problem didn't appear again until a few weeks ago when it did it once more...

Then came yesterday and today.

Yesterday...didn't have any problems starting her up. However, on my way home from work, the radio/lights would "hiccup"..shut off...then instantly back on. You could "catch" it in the engine as well...almost like a miss (but entirely electrically related) almost like power had been cut completely momentarily and then restored. This was with the defroster on, etc. I thought maybe it was the A/C relay because of the fact that I keep hearing the A/C compressor and fan kick on almost seemingly like every 5 sec or so...but it is "normal" for the a/c compressor to kick on from what I have read in the defrost setting. Pulling the A/C Relay from the panel did fix the problem though (and no...never have had any A/C issues...blows cold...no overheating, etc).

Then today...no start issues again. Ran great this morning. Came out after work to start the truck, turn key over...NOTHING. Foot in on clutch, wiggle the shifter, etc. turn key again....nothing...not even a crank. Just that single click.... Remove key, reinsert, try again....START...

In my experience...I think what I am seeing is a bad ignition switch. Would anyone agree with that? Or...have another idea. I get a strong charge on the system at 14v (have a Wrangler cluster with gauges...no dummies), battery is older...but isn't showing charge problems either... cables seem tight...checked grounds quickly...no issues there though I haven't had a good amount of time to really look into the issue further.

Any ideas? Right track...ignition switch contacts probably worn out? She does have 165k on her...common?

Joe
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

either battery or ignition switch check plg on switch for bad or melted conn
Old 11-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Engine: 4.0

Check your batt. cables ,and grounds too.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:19 AM

will start with those items and report back...

Joe
Old 03-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I am having the same problem. I am just curious if you were able to diagnose/resolve the problem. Mine only does it once in a blue moon, but it happened twice today. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Somewhere the battery cable is grounded out, or the terminals are loose. You may have to physically wiggle them around to see. If the terminals have been replaced with those crappy autozone universal replacements I would get some crimp-on terminals.