Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

interior lights staying on AGAIN!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)
Default interior lights staying on AGAIN!!

Okay, so i posted about this a while ago. But I thought I had the problem fixed. To catch people up, my interior lights are staying on regardless of doors open, shut, light switch on off. I replaced all four door switches and have disconnected the rear tailgate switch. When all the doors are shut the lights do get dimmer as if the ground is loose somewhere. I have removed every trim panel on the passenger side and have followed the wiring as far as I can and have found no shorts or loose wires. As of right now i just have the dome lights unplugged and I have to unplug the harness when I get out to turn the lights off in the floor under the dash. I would leave the main harness unplugged but one harness that seems to control all the lights also controls my tail lights....this is bad because i got pulled over last night...the other harness I found only turns off the front dome light. Today I pulled the distribution block out from under the passenger front kick panel and took it apart. nothing....I have done everything I can think of.

This first started several months ago and after tinkering with it I thought it was the distribution block loose...then I noticed the rear passenger door, when it was disconnected the lights worked normally, so I replaced the door switches for good measure....seemed to work for several months until just the other night and the problem has returned!!!!! I have checked the door switches again and they all test fine.

ANY IDEAS????

Sorry I know this is a long one but I wanted everyone to know what all I have done
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Disconnect the negative battery terminal every time you stop
Old 12-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Year: 1995

It could be the headlight pull switch itself. The interior lights stay on when you turn the dimmer all the way bright (for your instruments). Sometimes they go bad internally and could be keep your interior lights on regardless of it's position. I had one go bad in a 64 dart and all the lights did crazy stuff.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Have you opened one door at a time and pushed each switch in to see if one of the doors is not pushing the switch far enough in ??
Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 inline 6 (o yea!)

Originally Posted by mike mike
Have you opened one door at a time and pushed each switch in to see if one of the doors is not pushing the switch far enough in ??

I just rechecked the door switches just to make sure. For right now I just have all the lights unplugged. I think I will try the headlight switch next just to see.