Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Injector stops opening; turn engine off and back on resimes working????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question Injector stops opening; turn engine off and back on resimes working????

I will try to describe this the best I can - I am fairly new to the XJ world and love it. Got my teenage son one that he loves and I fell in love with it as well, so I bought a 2000 of my own. Recently did the "bastard pack" junkyard lift to mine for both the cheap in me and the experience of doing it. It went great and looks great. I also did a swap on the stock injectors form 1-hole to 12-hole. It seems to run very well and got rid of a miss that it had originally. went out 4-wheeling in Big Bend and it handled Black Gap and Christmas Mountain practically without even slipping a tire!! Now the issue; at decent "road" speeds 45-55 mph, when going uphill and the accelerator depressed to kick the transmission down, or even leaving the accelerator level and speed decreasing to kick the transmission down, it seems the number 4 and 6 injector would quit firing and remain not firing even after heading downhill or level. I suppose this as I would remove the injector plugs one at a time and only the 4 and 6 injectors did not make the miss worse. I would turn off my XJ, immediately start it back up and the miss was gone, again supposing this by noticing a difference in idle now by the 4 and 6 injectors unplugged causing a difference in idle. Now this is as unsafe as it sounds but I took the best precautions I could; when this "miss" occurred, twice I shifted into neutral on a decent straight length of road at 45-55 mph, turned the key off, allowed the engine to completely stop, fired it back up and the miss was gone again. This was obvious as the jerking, spitting, sputtering at road speed with the misses, was gone. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
JPM - 2000 XJ Beginner but lovin' it!!!!!!!