Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Injector question, How to check and clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Injector question, How to check and clean

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I am trying to find how to check to see if they are working correctly. I have them off the motor and need to clean and test them. Is there any easy ways to check and see if they are working correctly. And, just to let yall know, I am aware of the 703 Neon injector swap. Will do that in the future, but right now I have to get this thing working because my wife's other car needs work also. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Sure. Plug them all into the fuel rail. Undo the connector to your distributor. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Turn the motor over while having someone watch to see if gas sprays out all the injectors. OR, send them to someone to clean and test, like 86-chief in the vendor section. Or buy a set of 703s. If you want to see that the injectors are getting a control signal, rent NOID lights from Autozone and unplug one connector at a time, put in the light, pull the fuel pump relay, and turn the motor over to see if the light flashes for every injector connection.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

For a real basic simple check you can use an ohm meter and test them to see if they are all within the correct range. Then use a 9volt batter to make sure they are clicking open and closed freely. For a real simple fast test since they are off the vehicle use the same battery and make them open and try blowing thru them (Wipe them off first LOL). You should be able to blow are thru them when they are opened and not when they are closed.

I know that's all really primative but that's about all you can do short of hooking up fuel lines and pressure etc. It will at least give you a real simple idea if they are doing what they are suppose to. Won't tell you how clogged or dirty they are unless of course you find one or two you can barely blow thru at all.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks, that is the kind of answer I am looking for. Wasn't sure how to open them to let the air pass through. I have two sets, so I should be able to find 6 that work. Wish I had the money, I would order my 703's from you. Dennis, TheXJFiles, says you do a great job with them. I bug him all the time for parts and advice. He lives close to me. Anyway, thanks for responding.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

Originally Posted by Ashewagon
Thanks, that is the kind of answer I am looking for. Wasn't sure how to open them to let the air pass through. I have two sets, so I should be able to find 6 that work. Wish I had the money, I would order my 703's from you. Dennis, TheXJFiles, says you do a great job with them. I bug him all the time for parts and advice. He lives close to me. Anyway, thanks for responding.
No problem. It would make it easier if you had an extra injector plug to use when you touch the battery to them. Just avoid leaving them open for a long period of time. They are made to open and close very rapidly.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

I used a piece of clear 3/8" chem-resistant tubing, I slipped one end of the tubing over the end of the injector output, filled the tube with carb cleaner and plugged the other into an air nozzle attached to my compressor. I taped the lever on the nozzle down and cranked my compressor to 15 PSI.

Next, I used a small 12v (9v will work) battery I had laying around with some little alligator leads to activate the servo.

By connecting to the output side of the injector I flushed the filter basket out the back side rather than driving crap through the pintle. I then attached the hose to the input side, increased pressure to 29 PSI and repeated to flush the pintles. Every one of them produced an identical spray/fog pattern when I was done.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Year: 1990

I like F1's method. The only way you could improve on that would be to figure out how to pulse the applied voltage...
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by F1Addict
I used a piece of clear 3/8" chem-resistant tubing, I slipped one end of the tubing over the end of the injector output, filled the tube with carb cleaner and plugged the other into an air nozzle attached to my compressor. I taped the lever on the nozzle down and cranked my compressor to 15 PSI.

Next, I used a small 12v (9v will work) battery I had laying around with some little alligator leads to activate the servo.

By connecting to the output side of the injector I flushed the filter basket out the back side rather than driving crap through the pintle. I then attached the hose to the input side, increased pressure to 29 PSI and repeated to flush the pintles. Every one of them produced an identical spray/fog pattern when I was done.
Originally Posted by desertdog
I like F1's method. The only way you could improve on that would be to figure out how to pulse the applied voltage...
I too like his method of cleaning them. I know the next time I need to clean them I will be giving it a try.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

I meant to mention that when I hooked up the power I left the negative lead off the battery and just tapped the clip on the terminal to "pulse" the injector and after running half the fluid through I let it sit for a minute or so before pulsing the remaining fluid through. My thought was that by letting the fluid sit in the injector it might loosen up any gunk in there that would be flushed out when I resumed. Not sure if it made any difference but it can't hurt.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:58 PM

wow, thanks guys. i may have to visit a junk yard and clip a plug off to activate it. Thanks for all the advice.