Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Incomplete Clearwater Cylinder Head??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Incomplete Clearwater Cylinder Head??

I purchased a cylinder head from Clearwater to replace my 0331 in my '01. I pulled it from the packaging tonight after pulling the old head to find two things:
1. There are no included dowels for the intake. There are holes to put dowels, but no dowels. Where can I get dowels? And I how do I go about installing them?

2. The tag attached tho the head has a few things on it, one of which says "cam seals must be installed by installer." I haven't seen or read anything in studying to replace this that has mentioned cam seals. The only difference between the OEM head and the Clearwater head is that the bottom of the valves in the OEM feel like a hard plastic and the Clearwater head is metallic. What am I dealing with here?

And yes, I realize now that I should have checked this stuff before I pulled the original head.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 98 stroked 4.7

The dowels can be purchased at the dealership for a couple of bucks or you can probably get them aftermarket too. Simple to install just tap them in with a hammer don't know what type of Cam Seals go in a head call them and ask what that means
Old 08-19-2017, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

No need to worry about the cam seals as the 4.0L is an OHV (Over Head Valve - cam is in the block), not an OHC (Over Head Cam - cam is in the head). Clearwater recons different heads for different vehicles so that tag is likely included with every cylinder head they sell, not only for the customer, but to keep thier legal department happy.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks guys.

Here's a fun new bit. I very clearly wasn't paying attention to the setting on my torque wrench and overtorqued my head bolts. All of them by 20 lbs. Can back them down to the write spec or do i need to pull the head and replace the gasket?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you asking what I would do or the other 99% of the population? Plenty of peeps have done this without ever seeing what a torque wrench looks like, so it's your call.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Are you asking what I would do or the other 99% of the population? Plenty of peeps have done this without ever seeing what a torque wrench looks like, so it's your call.
Theoretically, I'm asking what the "correct" course of action is. This is my DD and I'm slowly working it into an expedition vehicle so I want it to be put together "properly." Also it's still got less than 100k on the odometer and I don't like the stupid looks I sometimes get from the guys at the shop when I do have to take it in.

I finished up yesterday. Pulled and replaced the bolts and the gasket and we're back to operational.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
So true lol