Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

im new, im new, i dont know what to do!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default im new, im new, i dont know what to do!!!

hey all out there. im brand spanking new to any kind of fourm, just recently got a 97 xj and just had a lil question for any one to ancer. now this might just be superstition dont know but iv got hard knock like slop in the drive line or somewhere like that, only from take off at 0 mph and its manipulative if i take off rall slow it doesnt knock but if i take of with all fury it does. any one have any ideas?
iv checked the u-joints and rear ds, no play in eather. but the front drive shaft has rotational play about.... oh idk its not too bad but its still play. i was thinking that maby the yoke was worn out.... and at worst a gear in the transfer case.
any WAI would help, thanks
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

My 97 does that also.Mine is from the weak rear springs causing axle wrap when I take off hard.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM

ok so its nothing too bad, like slop in the drive line? have you ever had yours checked out?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7 stroker

My 99 did it because the exhaust was hitting on either the leaf spring or the gas tank. There is a piece of metal attached to a rubber ring that the exhaust pipe is supposed to be clamped to somewhere near the tip.