Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I'm back for the winter! Got a few questions tho

Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I'm back for the winter! Got a few questions tho

Hey Guys,
I'm finally back for the winter. The Jeep is my winter vehicle so it's been hangin out near the garage for the past few months, except a few trips to haul stuff or just to help out while I'm working on the summer beast.

My most recent project is trying to get rid of the rattles, clanks, and squeaks. So far I've put electrical tape on the back seat where it clips in at the top, and on the hatch post that the latch latches to. It has helped soooo much, but I think the back seat is still rattling and now that it's the only thing left so it's driving me more crazy than usual haha. I was thinking about maybe trying to incorporate some rummer grommets where the tape doesnt last. Any ideas?

Also, I just bought a stock roof rack and am curious what the best way to mount it is? I dont really plan on using it very much, I dont really do much off roading and everything I've hauled so far has fit in the back. I know people dont like to hear this, but I just like the way it looks. I bought it used so I didnt take it off the original jeep so any help getting it mounted on mine would be great.

Last, I'm curious which parts are involved in lifting the jeep. I bought it with a 3" (?) lift but the guy didnt give me many details. I'm sorry for such a n00b question, but which parts do I need to identify to know what I'm working with? I would be more than happy to climb underneath it and take some pics or just look myself, but I like to know what I have just in case I decide to add a few inches to it, and lets be honest, who doesnt want that? hahah Also, I want to make sure that the parts he put on are still in good condition (he used it mostly for off road) and possibly replace some of the older stuff.

Thanks for reading this whole thing and for your patience with a new jeep owner. I am fairly mechanically inclined, and what I lack in knowledge I make up for with ambition. Here is a taste of my summer BEAST. I just put the exhaust on and I'm pretty proud of it If anyones interested I'd be glad to give you a run down of everything done to my Camaro. I've put countless hours of work into it and it's just about where I want it to be, such a good feeling
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 (Ford 4.2L Injector Upgrade and Yellow Top Optima))

The rattle and squeak chasing is never ending.... my advice is get an amp and subs and drowned out those little interior noises with your choice of jams....

as for the roof rack... do you mean the roof rails? If your jeep came with em then you have 4 threaded holes near the drip edge of each side of the jeep and a torx bolt secures the railing that holds the 2 cross bars. Not sure if your jeep didn't come with one from the factory, (some other members may have advice on that) or you could get a Thule or Yakima rack... i picked up a thule used for 12 bucks, just needed paint.

a 3" inch lift... hopefully its not blocks and spacers... look at the rear leaf springs, and see if there is a block between them and the axle, if so then thats the cheap way, (also not good with the soft xj leafs, spring wrap and inverted springs can result). If you don't have blocks then you either have a full 3" lift leaf pack, a bastard pack (leafs from other vehicles), or a 3" shackle (the thing attached to the outer leaf eye and the "frame").... then move to the front axle and look at your coil springs, is their a spacer between the spring and body, if not then you have a 3" lift coil spring... also check the shocks and see if you have bar pin eliminators in the rear... lower control arms should be extended, its the piece that connects the front axle to the frame and allows articulation and sets the caster angle.

nice jeep... way to rescue it from the rust fairy.... was that roll on herculiner or spray on? as soon as my carpet gets wrecked im doing that to the whole interior... .nice wheels... you gotta paint that ugly azz bumper or something

and your fender wells have been trimmed fyi

Last edited by gspaceunit; 11-05-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: checked out his pics...
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 AM

Yeah, my xj never came with the rood rails. Does that mean I need to find an aftermarket brand? I wasnt really looking forward to drilling holes in my roof . I guess it would be better to get a different brand if they dont require drilling.

I'll have to check out the suspension tomorrow, good info tho, thanks.

The herculiner I used was the roll on type from autozone. That stuff is bad ***. I use my jeep for a lot of deliveries for my dads company and that stuff is tougher than nails. I'm definitely contemplating going over the rest of the floor just so I know there arent any more holes hahahah. I think the rust fairy lives in my truck, it's not pretty.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 'maro with open headers sounded nice. What else you have done to that thing?

You can get an after market roof rack that bolts onto the drip rail moldings, then you wont have to drill any holes. Quadratec has quite a few to get ideas from.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L I6 (Ford 4.2L Injector Upgrade and Yellow Top Optima))

Yeah, something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thule...s#ht_500wt_924 might be better for ya... or you could bolt it through your roof and it would never fall off even if you rolled it, just be sure to silicon caulk the sh#@ outta the holes so it doesnt leak, if you decided to do that way... if your headliner is drooping then that could be an excuse to do it.

yeah xj suspensions are pretty simple... coil spring w/ control arms up front and leafs in the rear.... with sway bars to lessen the body roll.

So it took a quart to do the rear hatch area? also, was it noisier from the road noise, or quieter...? i don't have much experience with the stuff. so might take 3 quarts to do the whole interior...
Old 11-06-2010, 01:58 AM

Yeah, those rails look pretty nice. I might have to do some more research to find out which aftermarket ones will work for me. I'm more of a keep it simple and somewhat stock looking. The giant safari ones dont really do it for me, but I could see it being pretty useful.

I'm not exactly sure how much it took to do the rear area.... a quart sounds right but it might have been two. I did a write up on it you can check out for a nice step by step, it probably says how much I used there. I didnt really notice any more road noise because I covered up about 3 square feet of holes in the cargo area haha. I wouldnt think it would make a huge difference...my jeep is pretty loud as is and if you do a few coats it's pretty thick.

As far as the Camaro goes... it's a 94 Z28 with 68k miles. I swapped front/rear seats, door panels, and center console from an 00 SS with nice black leather, pioneer head unit hooked up to infinity kappa speakers and a 10" kicker l5 hidden in the trunk w 600w amp. Eibach lowering springs, spohn solid chrome moly front/rear sway bars, eledbrock adj panhard rod, LG motorsports lower control arms, Spohn welded in lower control arm brackets to compensate for lowering springs. The exhaust is from ebay, but it's matching stainless steel longtube headers with matching Y pipe, I've got a 3" electric cutout and I'm buying a magnaflow catback tomorrow morning. It's got an LS1 style air intake, no A/C, no egr, no air, basically no emissions or any junk that would slow me down except p/s. I just gave it a full tune up with MSD superconductor wires, MDS blaster coil, MDS 6a box, and NGK tr55 plugs. It's runnin nice and purdy hahaha. Oh yeah, it's also got brand new Nitto tires, 275/40/17 555 up front and 315/35/17 555R on the back It's a little faster than the jeep
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 AM

Also, I am definitely going to go with the rails that dont require me to drill holes in my roof lol