Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ignition Start Problem. Help !

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Default Ignition Start Problem. Help !

Hi,

I picked up a 1990 Wagoneer Limited a few years back and it was set up to use a toggle switch to start it because when you try to use the key to start, nothing happens.. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get the ignition to work properly to start the jeep..

Let me say that when it comes to electrical, my knowledge is very limited. Let me go over what i know so far:

- I don't see any visible damage to the wiring
- If i put a test light on the wires from column, i get constant from the large red, i get power to the large orange when the key is in the on position and i get power to the yellow when the key is in the on position.
- If turn the key to start, the large yellow wire loses power
- I tried starting in neutral and jiggling the shifter (it's an auto) to see if it's the NSS and that doesn't appear to be the issue (unless they get so messed up that you can never start the thing no matter what you do).

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts ? Is it possible that the ignition switch is the culprit (that was my next thought) ?

Help is appreciated ! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would start with the NSS. It is possible that it needs a real good cleaning or the contacts on the inside are burnt. Here's a link on how to clean it up. You might as well start with something that may be free to take care of.
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info !

I guess my only questions would be, would the NSS malfunctioning cause the yellow ignition wire to lose power when i turn the key to start (assuming the yellow wire is the power to the starter) ?
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 AM

Update:

I removed the NSS and cleaned and lubed it.. It appears to be working properly as i can hear the fuel pump when the jeep is in park or neutral only. When in gear, i hear nothing.. A step in the right direction (i think).

Anyway, the jeep still won't start. When i turn the key to start, i can hear the fuel pump and I can hear something clicking up front. I know the starter works, because the toggle setup still starts it no problem..

Any other suggestions on what my problem might be ?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by StewMac
Update:

I removed the NSS and cleaned and lubed it.. It appears to be working properly as i can hear the fuel pump when the jeep is in park or neutral only. When in gear, i hear nothing.. A step in the right direction (i think).

Anyway, the jeep still won't start. When i turn the key to start, i can hear the fuel pump and I can hear something clicking up front. I know the starter works, because the toggle setup still starts it no problem..

Any other suggestions on what my problem might be ?
Click on the link in my signature and do posts 1,3,4, and 5.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 AM

Just wanted to close this thread and thank anyone that replied and tried to help me out ! In closing, I fixed the problem ! Here's a breakdown of what I think was going on if it helps anyone else:

1). Reason the XJ was set up on a toggle start: NSS. I believe this was the reason it was setup on a toggle, to bypass the Neutral Safety Switch that was acting up. ( I removed it, cleaned it and re-lubed it and it was showing the proper signs, but the Jeep still wouldn't start with the key, but showed the proper signs of how it should behave (stuff activating in park and neutral only)).

2). How I got it to start with the key after tuning up the NSS: There was a green wire that was coming out of a harness and spliced into the toggle setup and I couldn't figure out where it came from. Turns out it was supposed to have a connector on it that would go to the starter relay.. The reason this wasn't obvious is the clip on the starter relay it supposed to attach to was broken off.. I found this out when i looked at my MJs starter relay. So I took the relay out of my MJ and put it in the XJ and wrapped the end of the green wire in the correct place. When I turned the key, it started !!! Anyway, got another relay, connected everything properly and I'm good to go.

This could be a total one-off situation, but if helps anyone else, I'm happy to have shared this info. Again, thanks to the peeps that replied in attempt to help me out !

PS - I have another issue, but I'll start a new thread !
Old 04-10-2014, 07:18 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Thanks for the closure. It's sure difficult to help over the interwebs on a wire hack job!! Glad you got it.